Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

assisted alignment/b6 loading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 5:56am
I've noticed the GD spike in sims too, but Tony Wilkes always commented that the a benefit of assisted allignment boxes is low group delay.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Keen Keen wrote:

I've noticed the GD spike in sims too, but Tony Wilkes always commented that the a benefit of assisted allignment boxes is low group delay.

I think Tony may only have been referring to the GD of the box and driver, not the whole system when he said that.

GD of a system is affected by everything that affects the frequency response as a whole, and as a rough rule of thumb a response with a gentle transition between flat and the ultimate LF rolloff will have lower GD than a response with a sharper corner.

Using the small box that is common in assisted alignments does tend to round off that transition, which is where the GD benefit (on the box side) lies, but the EQ boost used to flatten the response has the effect of squaring that corner up again, counteracting that.

HTH,
David.
djtuffer View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtuffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 10:00pm
I use one of the logic bins with an assisted alignment but I find their suggest EQ settings a bit too aggressive.  I narrow the peak and reduce the EQ gain and it sounds fine and the amplifier behaves.  All depends on how it's implemented. 
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2014 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by djtuffer djtuffer wrote:

I use one of the logic bins with an assisted alignment but I find their suggest EQ settings a bit too aggressive.  I narrow the peak and reduce the EQ gain and it sounds fine and the amplifier behaves.  All depends on how it's implemented. 

Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to share your settings?  I to have some logic bins, push/pulls and the single 18's which I apply B6 too. I generally use the logic settings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12