Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving Head Orientation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Head Orientation
    Posted: 11 August 2014 at 3:42am
So with moving heads, I know it's safe to use them upright or upside down. But how about on their sides?

The heads are Pilot 150s
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 7:41am
The futurelight heads I havr just picked up state they can be mounted sideways.... Def check the manual, but should be ok I'd have thought.
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 8:21am
I once read someone say if you mount a scanner upside down you will invalidate the warranty, LOL.

Mount them any way you want, they'll be fine.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 6:42pm
Some arc lamps will have reduced life and poorer output in certain orientations but as the lamp in a moving head is constantly changing orientation this cannot be avoided.

I always prefer to hang things under their clamps (if it will make no difference to the lighting design) - no point fighting with gravity more than you have to.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 7:36pm
Use decent half couplers you will be fine. A pilot 150 is not a very heavy unit anyway.

Jace
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

A pilot 150 is not a very heavy unit anyway.

Jace

That's what worries me lol, maybe it wasn't built to take the same strains as say a Robe or Martin head. But then I know little of how it's built.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

A pilot 150 is not a very heavy unit anyway.

Jace

That's what worries me lol, maybe it wasn't built to take the same strains as say a Robe or Martin head. But then I know little of how it's built. My worry wasn't about it falling but more about it damaging itself due to being unbalanced on one axis?
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:13am

The HTI 150 lamp used in the Pilot 150 has a burn position code of HS30, this means the arc has to be kept within 30° of horizontal, if the fixture is mounted on its side the arc would not kept horizontal.

JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 8:01pm
I wouldnt worry about the lamp
Id be more concerned about the central pan bearing, they're not the best and seen quite a few collapse when mounted sideways, you are adding sideways shear to the bearings when mounted like that

Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)