Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recommended Seriously Efficient 15" Reflex Drivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended Seriously Efficient 15" Reflex Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

That's bad practice for choosing a crossover point. This is how you do it:
Measure the dispersion in the horizontal plane. Choose a point where the dispersion of the two sections match and the power and spectral distribution matches the design of the cab. If this point is out of the band where one of the two sections would either need too much power or just sound bad, your design is wrong, period. Go back to the drawing board.
Assuming you have matched the horizontal dispersion by now, you need to choose the slopes. To avoid or minimize comb filtering in the vertical plane, the crossover slopes should always be as steep as possible. Higher order slopes give more phase distortion however so therefore a balance needs to be found. usually third or fourth order slopes will suffice. 
Note: using FIR filters will give you any slope you like, with no phase distortion whatsoever!

surely just ''picking'' crossover points that just sound good may work for a very specific location, but can per definition not sound good throughout a room.
Better use steeper slopes tweet if you get a normal response using shallow slopes on drivers from which the crossoverpoints are almost an octave removed from each otherOuch.
If the dip in the frequency response this creates is what you like, then do it on an eq. This way if you sometimes don't want this dip to be present, you just pull up the eq back to flat, instead of having to adjust crossovers.

Thank you Teun for the explanation.  we all here to learn a thing or two. thats whats this forum is about instead of just "lol".

Rish
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 2:35pm
The LOL was i think obvious. How do you get to have nothing between if you use gentle slopes?
Very rarely LF and HF are crossed at the exact point. That might be in the ideal world where both components response is ruler flat. But that aint the case. HF drivers usually have a big bump at about 2.5khz, so cutting them higher tames that bump and the response gets more even and acoustical crossover is actually quite lover then the electrical.
Also more gentle slopes gives better phase response.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Tweeter_Box View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweeter_Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 3:15pm
Will update sum pics of how xover was done, gotta admit when the RCF 15" was measured it was bang on to the manufacturers spec sheet
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

The LOL was i think obvious. How do you get to have nothing between if you use gentle slopes?
Very rarely LF and HF are crossed at the exact point. That might be in the ideal world where both components response is ruler flat. But that aint the case. HF drivers usually have a big bump at about 2.5khz, so cutting them higher tames that bump and the response gets more even and acoustical crossover is actually quite lover then the electrical.
Also more gentle slopes gives better phase response.

Well thank you Marjan. dont take it for granted that everyone knows what you know no matter how simple it may be. i normally cross my 15" over to my comp at about 1.6k.I will try to move the hpf up on the comp and use gentle slopes and see how it sounds. see, i learned something today. we all are not experts are we..
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 1:00am
Under-lapping crossovers to effectively EQ out what would otherwise be a lump where the drivers meet is a very useful tool.  Just as asymmetric crossovers can be.  Why add extra EQ points if you can achieve it with the crossover slopes.

In an ideal world, I choose drivers which have at an octave or so of overlap in their usable frequency range.  Trying to run a driver to the limit of it's frequency extension is always going to be a losing battle.

Edited by ceharden - 17 October 2014 at 1:01am
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 11:19am
Another driver which is efficient and plays midbass and comes for under 80 pounds is oberton b 450, can take some power and sounds alright, although not in the league of some mentioned here, the price is interesting 
tda-audio_2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda-audio_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2014 at 9:13am

my be  15w750 (low price)

foler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2014 at 7:58pm
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=251779&folderId=377289&name=DLFE-5153.pdf

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/precision-transducers/low-frequency-transducers/l15p530
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2014 at 8:05pm
http://boomboomcollective.free.fr/site_downloads/BBC.BR215.MidBass_Speaker_Design.pdf

put a really efficient driver in there and you're all good Wink
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456