Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The DJ Trike "sound travel" system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The DJ Trike "sound travel" system
    Posted: 22 August 2014 at 4:46am
Has anyone seen this project?
http://www.thedjtrike.com/

I saw the kickstarter about a year ago:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/makeuse/the-dj-trike-soundtravel-project
at the time I thought it was an ambitous project with a lot of hype (and hipster graphics) but not much substance. $11k is a fairly generous target too, cynicism sets in when you see they're wanting to use it for commercial gain too

a year later...
???

does anyone here know much more about it, and can share insight?
I'd like to see speakers on wheels, but it looks like this kickstarter project has kicked the bucket

scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 8:42am
Saw this last year and was a bit sceptical too. Couldn't imagine anyone in the UK getting people to invest money in DJ tricycle, but maybe I'm just a cynical Brit.

Think the first version was just a pullout turntable stand with a space underneath. Not a tricycle soundsystem as such.

The plan for the second version was to upgrade the speakers and include a sub.

Good on him for having the balls to give it a go. Obviously put a lot of effort in it. Be a shame to come to a premature end.

Edited by scott_fury - 22 August 2014 at 8:45am
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 11:16pm
I asked
"So $10k and a year after your fundraiser do you have anything to show for this?"

Here's the response a week later
"THE DJ TRIKE Hi Rik, it's still under construction. Unfortunately, I had to delay the project build due to relocating to NYC for work earlier this year. But trust me, I will complete it! Now that I'm settled in with the big move I'm setting up shop and getting focused on the project again. So far I have the front frame built and have all the materials to finish the rest. Thanks for asking and I'll keep you posted!"

hmmm... can't help but be cynical about crowdfunding in general, especially for private purposes
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2014 at 9:56am
I general I don't get why anyone would wanna make a trike sound system with the double wheels (and the sound system) behind the driver. The standard for trike sound systems, at least in Denmark, is having a trike with the double wheels and the sound system placed over the turning axis. Similar to a trike like the one below. There are a lot of different models and brands out there that make similar ones.

Edited by Saturnus - 29 August 2014 at 9:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply