Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preamp fx loop problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubbed-up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preamp fx loop problem
    Posted: 19 September 2014 at 11:47am
Hi all,
I have a jo-red twp and due to his slow email response I thought I'd try to resolve the problem I'm having here.

I have a boss re20 echo pedal I use for my siren. When I plug the siren into the pedal then to my preamp all sounds nice and as it should. But when I plug the siren in directly to the preamp and use the preamps fx loop the effects/echo is at a very low level!
I want to be able to echo the music playing and the siren and should be able to do this this way but as mentioned the echo is very very quiet !
All my leads are tested and work fine (all mono 6.3mm jack)
I previously used a jts 3 way wired the same and had no problems??
Is this likely to be an impedance issue between pedal and pre? Or a fault in the preamp?
Any help or suggestions of what to try would be great.
Cheers Jon.
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 1:36pm
Greetings Dubbed!

It could be more of a sensitivity issue or a possible fault. If you have a spare aux channel try the following:

Take the output from the Boss to the input of the aux channel (make sure you fully turn down the fx send on the same channel or else you will be in for a nasty surprise if you don't!) then see if you are getting enough output that way.

JTS-es are more sensitive than a standard line unit and maybe the Jo Reds confirm to 0.775V or 1.4V standard......

Let us know how you get on.

Protection.

P.S I thought I sent this ages ago!
Facebook: Masai Judah
Dubbed-up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubbed-up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 2:24pm
Masai, your a star.
Ok so have now got the return going to a spare line in on the pre and it works fine. Nice loud echo's .
Only thing I can't do is eq the return.
At least it's now usable till I hear from Jo :-)
Thanks
Jon
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 3:59pm
No problem Jon!
Glad you got some sort of descent echo going. I thought the aux channels on JReds had eq on them?
The RE20 is not a bad lickle unit but I think the level out of it (like most guitar pedals) is quite low so you can plug them straight into the the input of a guitar amp hence why it sounds so low via your return.

I hope you now will have hours of fun with your echo unit my yoot!

Protection!
Facebook: Masai Judah
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Dubbed-up Dubbed-up wrote:

All my leads are tested and work fine (all mono 6.3mm jack)

Do you mean unbalanced jacks with mono? Just because unbalanced and balanced can both be used for mono. All the other inputs and outputs on the Jo Red preamp work fine with balanced jacks, except for the effects and if remember right also the siren. I first tried balanced ones and the effects were also too quiet. With unbalanced jacks it worked fine. Probably it also depends on which type of connectors the effect device wants to have, although all Boss things that I connected worked fine with unbalanced jacks.

Edited by Ras Loud - 26 October 2014 at 11:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply