Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wharfedale EZGO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wharfedale EZGO
    Posted: 25 September 2014 at 12:33pm
It's not often I see a commercial offering of interest but this box from Wharfedale seems worth a look if you must have an off the shelf solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVtP-fAJfc

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/EZGOSYSTEM/EZGO/tabid/534/Default.aspx

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/ezgo-wharfedale-wharezgo-ezgo-portable-amplifier-system-from-wharfedale-pro.p946801.html?ref=PLA&gclid=CIjNs_ef_MACFSQXwwodPpkAhA 

I doubt it actually achieves the claimed 122dB (70w RMS '140w max' so -3dB unless you like distortion), or the 8 hour battery life but pound for performance it definitely looks like one of the better options around at the moment.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2014 at 1:47pm
Full range with a 5" driver...
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2014 at 3:19pm
A not uncommon, less than ideal solution.

The old MiPro (+ rebrands) unit still doing the rounds has a single full range driver, I think 5 or 6.5 inch covering the same bandwidth, costs more (£500+), half the power, etc.

Seems a lot rests on the quality of the driver - 95db/watt 60-18KHz sounds questionable on paper but nobody questioned Minirig achieving 100-20K with a 3" and sounding great. 

If you need an off the shelf box for whatever reason (hire purpose or smart function etc) it's an option at least, and even if it's crap (which it may well be) it only serves to illustrate the lack of quality alternatives in that output and price bracket. Putting together a high output all in one clearly isn't cheap because of the sheer number of components and small potential market size, but most people's budgets are not high either, and DIY isn't for everyone.

ION Audio are giving a high output box a go also which I'm keeping an eye on:

Retails around £300, 200 Watts (I can only assume real Watts as all their other products outputs seem realistically low) into two 10" drivers and tweeters. Drivers look awful but again the proof is in the listening and the same issue arises: What does someone buy in that price range if they want an off the shelf solution that can cover a crowd?

I see the same low output ION and QTX boxes again and again and it's sad to see people buy them instead of a quality solution but so long as people want off the shelf it's good to keep up with what's around, and to contemplate why there isn't a better alternative.

Edited by Hemisphere - 25 September 2014 at 3:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply