Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light and cheap DIY portable speaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caligula303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light and cheap DIY portable speaker
    Posted: 02 October 2014 at 10:53pm

Hi folks! I put together this speaker at last minute, next day heading to a summer festival. I wanted something light to carry around, since my other preferred system weight almost 8kg. Also had to be durable and extremely cheap... I ended with this:

Components:

Amp Yamaha yda138 - 6€
4" 4Ohm 35w car speaker - free
12cm pvc pipe - free
12v Led strip - 3€
Battery 4500Mah CCTV Li-ion - 20€
6.3mm Jack - 1€
On/off switch - 1€
Voltmeter - 2€
Strap and "carpet" cover - free
blue leds - free
rca (for passive speaker out) - free
sealant, hardware... - 1€?
Total: 34€. Ok, budget checks out. Let´s go to the scale and... 1.4kg. Very portable, indeed! The round shape and the soft cover makes it extremely easy to carry.

The sound is  pretty decent for what it is, not the best sounding or the loudest of my systems but still ok. Clean mids and highs, kinda lacking bass outdoors but with a somewhat punchy sound. 
There are some upgrades to come: Build a passive speaker in the same fashion, redesign the back lid to add a cover for the controls and connections, and a cheap usb bluetooth module.

Blaize110 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaize110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 10:57pm
I like the volt meter mounted in the grill, though my inner ocd dislikes that it's not lined up with the JBL logo :P
caligula303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caligula303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2014 at 11:00pm
hahaha i have to re-align everything, i was in a hurry Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply