Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suitcase build help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suitcase build help
    Posted: 04 October 2014 at 5:42pm
I found an old suitcase in my attic that I want to build into a boombox.  So far I've been looking at relatively budget components but would love someone to give me feedback on compatibility, or make better recommendations.

-Lepai 2020A amp
-This Celestion neo 5" speaker  
-Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter
-These two batteries wired in series or singly if 12v is enough for the amp I end up choosing

The crossover is where I need the most help.  Is there a walkthrough explaining how to build the crossover?  I tried to pick components that sort of match, but I don't know how to make a filter.  I would like the experience of building it myself.  I was thinking of crossing somewhere around 4k.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 5:50pm
Why those batteries? You can get 12v 7ah batteries new for 25 dollars. 
Serie is doubling voltage, parallel is doubling capacity. A single 12v 7ah battery with the Lepai LP2020A+ amp already yields 20+ hours play time. Plenty for most people.
Monacor SP60 crossed with a 6.8uF MKT/MKP capacitor to a Dayton ND16FA is a good setup. Check out this very nice build from user Shortrope for inspiration: http://forum.speakerplans.com/boombox-case-build-finished_topic83970.html
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 6:03pm
Well, that's a two pack, and I was under the (possibly misguided) impression that it was better for the amp to run in 24v.  If running at 12v is fine for this amp, I would be much happier with the reduction in weight.  I saw the Monacor SP60 in others' builds, but I can't find it here in the states.  That build is actually one of the inspirations I had in mind when I remembered the suitcase in my attic!Big smile
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 6:19pm
No, 24V would destroy it. 12V is the way to go. 
How much liters of space do you have to work with?
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 6:29pm
I would estimate it about 20liters.  That is the bag itself, so not counting the ply box and contents.

Edited by crossed - 04 October 2014 at 6:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply