Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plague of pop-ups/ anti-virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

Thanks to all, especially odcO4R. That link seems to have completely cleared it.
@ Audiomik, no I don't use any commercial software. I mostly use the puter for E-mail, 2 forums and e-bay. Plus google searches when I want to check something out.

@ studio45. Sorry didn't understand a word of your last post..... not very puter literate. Certainly wouldn't know where to start re-installing windows.

Just to give you all a laugh, any idea what my job was in 1970????? I was the highest paid computer operator in the country. How things have changed.

No worries, feel free to PM me if you need any help in the future.

I agree with the people suggesting that you'd be a good candidate for Ubuntu (linux distribution) if 99% of what you want is web/email. There is a little learning curve, especially to do with where files get saved by default etc if you are used to windows but apart from that you won't notice much difference. As Ray said some printer drivers etc, can be an issue. Problem is that you really need someone to give you a demo I guess unless you have a free PC not doing anything.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 6:43pm
Using windows 7 never had any problems with viruses never used antivirus programs just be sure not to click obvious traps on the internet and thats it. And yeah get adblock .
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 9:29pm
Markie
to try a Linux distribution, get yourself a copy of a 'live' CD or DVD download. Follow the instructions to then make yourself a live CD/DVD which you can run from boot-up without affecting your windoze installation - to see how you like it/get on to start with.

For easier 'transfer' from a windoze desktop try a KDE version.

Ubuntu has some rather nasty spyware in it which can be switched off if you know how, but Mint doesn't have this although it is virtually the same otherwise.

Have a look here: Distrowatch.com.
Here I use OpenSUSE but there are many other distributions to choose from

Thinking that a few days break in Kernow would be good, so let me know if I can assist you!

Mik

Edit: add Disrowatch link and comment

Edited by audiomik - 20 October 2014 at 9:40pm
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
soundchippy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 11:18pm
@markie...didn't you buy a chromebook?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 12:16am
No  to the chromebook. I was thinking about one but I asked on here and general consensus put me off.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 9:25am
I think you just need to be a bit more savvy about what you are installing, and sack off all the 3rd party antivirus/internet safety apps.
Just make sure you have the tools enabled in Windows and read what's going on when using installers.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I think you just need to be a bit more savvy about what you are installing, and sack off all the 3rd party antivirus/internet safety apps.
Just make sure you have the tools enabled in Windows and read what's going on when using installers.

Tools in windoz?.... to many false positives...
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12