Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starting out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moran247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting out
    Posted: 22 October 2014 at 10:40am
Hi guys,

Im new to all this stuff I personally don’t know about all these amps, energy levels, different speakers, drivers etc. BUT I have been chosen to help with a server for a rig (or as you may call it sound system).

I am very good at computers and IT. I work with servers everyday.

Yet I cannot see where a server could play a role in a sound system, Yes you may need to check stats of bass and treble etc but that’s about it , I don’t see how it will manage it.

Better yet what would I need to do, if the server is working fine now, what would I need to help out with? Im supposed to be helping with the amp rack, could someone tell me what that entails?

Just wanted to know if there is anything I could bring to this sound system maybe some software that could benefit the organisation? At the moment we are using a DAW (digital audio workstation)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a head’s up with what I should be doing.

Thank you for your time,

Morgan

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:07am
someone must have told you what the server is to serve?

or maybe, and more likely, they just want a rack mount pc, and are calling that a server?

a rack mount pc could be used for music recording or playback... if they want one for an amprack, i suppose work on making it as rugged as it can be if it's going to be travelling around in an amp rack.

think you really need to find out more about what they want it to do?
moran247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moran247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:19am
yes it has a monitor on top of the rack mount. 

i've been told it is used to maintain, organize and give live feedback on the amps and speakers.

All im abit confused about is the fact that There isnt much involvement further from this that you can upgrade to for the 'sever' or rack mount PC. So why need me?
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:27am
Because they either dunno what they're doing or lazy? :P

assuming the P.C will be used to run an RTA program possibly? and maybe hooked up to their LMS/amps with built in DSP to control what theyre doing?
Kryptonik Sound Kollective

www.facebook.com/kryptoniksoundkollective
moran247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moran247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:31am
yes i understand all of this , i understand im here to maintain it, just like any other PC but i dont wanna be just maintaining it, i wanna be bettering it so i actually make a change.

Would there be anything i could add or upgrade to make it better (speaker wise not performance wise)
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:34am
A lot of signal processing equipment these days can be talked to, by ip/usb/rs232/rs485. I presume they want the pc to be able talk to the signal procesing gear, to access whatever gui the pa gear offers.

What may be required then, is more of a network, to plug everything into, and then either cat5 or wifi to a controlling pc/laptop at control location. May even be a server in the rack, with remote desktop access from some remote interface.

If you could tell us the spec of the equipment, we may be able to suggest an idea.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply