Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First foray into refurb/building....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 1:02am
to add it's bigger brother which uses 3 x 8 + 2" coax is very nice 1000W AES is in development at present.
It will have another sibling 2 x 10 + 2" coax all employ same HF horn 1000WAES I may try it as a 3 x 10 as well at some future date
wassat Conanski they are for Home Hi-Fi? well I guess you know best eh???
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 1:39am
I only ask as im building a column speaker using 8x 4" driver (gonna add another so i can wire to be an 8ohm load) and then taking it straight to a 12" driver for bass down to around 50hz.

Been playing a little and built a prototype and WITH a small tweeter sounded very very nice! But it was a different driver from the omes i will be using and waaaaaay cheeper. And for vocals and most wind instruments sound quite clean.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 1:57am
when it comes to Midrange drivers it is paramount they be "fast" & articulate  or much detail is lost  smaller cones with for ours at least huge motors is working out well for our 6.5 (2.5"VC), 8 (3"VC), & 10 (4"VC) lots of motor for a small diaphragm I use 2" mid drivers only & 1" for HF only very difficult to make a cone type mid they are usually far too heavy on the diaphragm & hardly give a wide enuf response i need to get to 4K minimum properly not with all the usual accompanying "Break up"
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

I am amazed at your ignorance Conanski there are more designers out there that use 6.5 F1 just to name one Martin Audio IIRC use 6.5
so please put your brain into gear before releasing the clutch on you keyboard
I suppose it just demonstrates how little you know & understand really
I expect your experience is negligible in Pro-Audio unless you have received a blow to the head recently

Could you be a bigger asshole? I'm gonna stick to my guns here and call you an AudioFool, and this will be the last direct reply you get from me. I will advise everyone here to simply ignore you from  now because  clearly you are more interested in stroking you ego than contributing.

Edited by Conanski - 01 November 2014 at 3:40pm
djstevied1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstevied1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 11:49am
OK....I follow what's been said....but I have a powered RCF system which uses a separate sub box at 15", with a full range capable top at 12" with a 2.5" voice coil, and a 1" compression driver with 1.5" vc.

My layman's thoughts were that 18" and 15" inch would work as you can buy "out-of-the-box" systems in that configuration?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by djstevied1984 djstevied1984 wrote:

My layman's thoughts were that 18" and 15" inch would work as you can buy "out-of-the-box" systems in that configuration?

Yes there are many 12+1" and 15"+1" PA speakers on the market and they do work well enough for most people, they are cheap to design and build, produce lots of SPL and can even sound decent, but off axis response suffers and at high drive levels they lose a lot of sound quality, so don't assume that just because it's popular it's the best option, in the audio biz things are often compromized to satisfy customer demands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234