Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lasers, ilda & ethernet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lasers, ilda & ethernet
    Posted: 24 October 2014 at 11:16pm
on longer runs i have been using ethernet cable and some ilda to Ethernet adaptors, but have noticed that the red diode doesn't work when i do this...

is there any  thing i can do to adapt ethernet or the adaptors to make the red diode work??

obviously with the red not working its lacking colour mixing too as its full colour..

hope its ok in general as it crosses lights and computer subjects..

cheers guys
rich
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 1:48am
With cat5 you have 8 cores available. Presumably it could possibly be wired so you have X+-, Y+-, a common ground and then R, G, B +5V analogue lines. However, you may then be missing an interlock loop which some projectors need.
First thing is to find out what ILDA pins the cat5 connect to.
This will tell you if the red is even connected.

What do you call a long run? 30m ILDA cables can be had for ~£30 from Cables2Go so maybe better off using the right stuff, or using an actual USB extender over cat5 and putting the DAC on the end of it instead.

IS your red analogue modulation or TTL?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 2:32am
The ilda cable I use is moulded so can't see what's wired.
I have a 25m one the ethernet is about 65m long.

Unsure on the type the red
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 9:15am
It's not the ILDA cable I asked about. It's how the adaptors are wired that is important. They may not actually take the red signal anywhere.
Does your red laser dim, is it just on/off? Dimming is analogue.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 9:23am
Rich, easiest way to check - grab your multimeter and do a continuity check between the pins on the RJ45 side to the other and from that you can see which go where.
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 10:40am
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Rich, easiest way to check - grab your multimeter and do a continuity check between the pins on the RJ45 side to the other and from that you can see which go where.

ah, i follow, then work out which is not connected and where it should be connected to make a circuit and re wire it there?
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by nuclearbass nuclearbass wrote:

Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

ah, i follow, then work out which is not connected and where it should be connected to make a circuit and re wire it there?

Yeah, i'm assuming ILDA pinouts are available easily enough on the Googles, it then shouldn't take you long to work out whether a pin is missing by design, crossed, or damaged.
 Post Reply Post Reply