Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can we make a sticky of useful resources?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can we make a sticky of useful resources?
    Posted: 06 November 2014 at 3:19pm
It's occurred to me that there are all kinds of resources around that seem obvious when you know them but aren't obvious when you don't, specific to building small/mobile cabinets. Most of the threads and literature on speaker building assumes large boxes: Steel grilles, massive handles, pole mounts, cabinet corners etc.

For example I just discovered this eBay listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-1-0mm-Perforated-Sheet-1050-Grade-3-mm-Holes-5-mm-Pitch-x-9-Sizes-/271443437424?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&var=570301281463&hash=item3f334a2770

It has a set selection of precut sizes but I found by asking that they'll cut grilles to specific sizes for more or less the same price.

So now I have 14 grilles on order, cut in 2 different precise sizes and it's only costing £15.

I'd suggest sections something like:

Cabinet hardware (protection and plugs/sockets/switches)
Paint/finishing materials and techniques
List of suitable drivers (bass, full range, tweeters)
List of proven/popular designs
Batteries
Amps
Processing
Power supplies (solar, etc)

I don't think it would really need much maintaining: open reply based contribution and a formal update every few months.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 3:52pm
3mm hole/5mm pitch is just 32% open area.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 4:01pm
Oops. Is that unusable do you reckon? I just looked at the image and I've seen grilles around with a smaller open area than that being used for similar builds so figured it would at least work, if not well. I'd also heard that using less transparent grilles can help tame the rising response/high end peak common on small format drivers so wanted to experience that first hand.

Luckily I haven't paid for anything yet, I should really just get a couple of samples and test.

Edited by Hemisphere - 06 November 2014 at 4:11pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 11:44pm
A sticky of "FAQ/How To" is helpful, and I'd love to see something like that created for here

But links to resources, such as buying stuff online, is not-so-helpful on an international forum - especially as time progresses and the items linked to become unavailable

so in terms of resources, yes to ideas and the like, no to online sales
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2014 at 6:19pm
i have couple of pages of organised bookmarks with class d amps from chinese sellers... got samples for plenty of them too... at some point before next outdoor party season will crack on a do some bench testing on them and stick them somewhere :-)
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2014 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

i have couple of pages of organised bookmarks with class d amps from chinese sellers... got samples for plenty of them too... at some point before next outdoor party season will crack on a do some bench testing on them and stick them somewhere :-)

BitShasher may tell you to get on with it as outdoors season is just around the corner down under. :D
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 10:01pm
It's always outdoor season, just sometimes have to wear more clothes
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 7:43am
Another possible winner I found on my 'travels':

Woven wire mesh, hardly a preferred choice of grille under usual circumstances but if you're making a very compact build and just need a bit of cheap driver protection, cut to shape and size with hand tools it could do the job, and it's acoustically transparent at 60% open area. It might dent upon impact, but then again it might not.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 2:12pm
Also looks interesting: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs-New-Neodymium-magnet-16Ohm-10W-Full-range-Audio-Speaker-Loudspeaker/32214597297.html 

Nifty looking 2" neo drivers, they look to be well made - Panasonic brand - very weird mounting arrangement that might explain the apparent clearance price. Obviously it's a gamble but not a huge one at ~£2.85p each, might be a pleasant surprise as for £22.50 (price of a decent 3" hifi driver) you've got a column of 8, that could potentially be a whole lot of efficiency, perhaps 90-93dB/Watt + 80 Watts power handling. 

I think I'll buy 4 and have a test anyway.

Edited by Hemisphere - 20 November 2014 at 2:19pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 10:07pm
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4PCS-Brand-New-2-2-inch-Neodymium-Full-range-Speaker-From-IDN-Panasoic-Free-Shipping/1360666869.html

Update on the cheap 2", this vendor has them for even less: £2.48p each, and there is some promising feedback for the same driver in this listing.

I should have 4 turn up in a couple of weeks, I'll try and A/B with a more expensive well known driver.
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 11:51pm
A how to guide for something like putting together the battery, PSU, and everything else in that chain of pieces would be helpful for me.  I'm piecing it together from a few different threads, but having it all in one place, easy to read would help future 12v builders.
 Post Reply Post Reply