Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM Radio broadcasters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FM Radio broadcasters
    Posted: 20 November 2014 at 8:09am
Does anyone have any experience of these?

I've heard the idea of linking many sound systems together via radio broadcast before but haven't heard of it being put into practice.

Spotted this: LINK which seems just the job for very localised (300-800 metre range) broadcast, providing all the systems had their own radio receiver.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 9:00am
Something I plan on doing sooner or later... have the gear, have the idea, just don't have time/motivation Ermm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 9:10am
LINK receiver chips are pretty cheap also. 
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 9:17am
IIRC this has been used on a Boominator meetup to let them all play the same music in sync.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

LINK receiver chips are pretty cheap also. 
If you want to go down that path, I'd suggest the all-in-one FM/Bluetooth/CF/USB/MP3 units so you have versatile playback options. Dump a bunch of mix MP3s on to CF card and leave it in the unit so you always have music on hand
Again, have a few of them to play with but haven't gotten that far yet Dead
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 1:59pm
In my experience:

Small "FM Bug" transmitters - not much use. No range beyond 10 feet, poor sound quality.

Slightly larger "Tour Guide" beltpack transmitters from China eg the CZH-T200 - work very well up to about 50 metres - perfect fidelity 35Hz-15kHz - good dynamic range.....

.......could not POSSIBLY comment on their legality in the UK ;) 

Keep out of OFCOM's way, and don't sue me if they try and fine you for going over 50uW (yes, microwatts) without a license. Note that the T200 can transmit in the range 76-108MHz so if you can find a suitable receiver, you can get right out of the UK commercial FM band. I use old Nokia "music" phones, they have an excellent FM receiver in them and a good audio output.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
MessyM2k8 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessyM2k8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 2:16pm
be careful using frequencies other than 87.5 - 108. Below 87.5, as suggested above, is used for emergency services and mod, just above 108 is used by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority). see here for a list of last years, 2013, frequency allocation.

Another thing to remember that if using cheap transmitters you will get lots of harmonics, if you can check on a spectrum analyser to make sure your not broadcasting on multiple different frequencies

Edited by MessyM2k8 - 20 November 2014 at 2:20pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2014 at 2:30pm
Hmm.. I think I'll give it a miss for now :) definitely good to know it's possible though.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 2:01am
Yes the FM bugs have a big problem with harmonics, the tour guide's belt pack seems not to cause interference though. I didn't know about the potential interference with emergency services communications, although on close inspection of that enormous document it does seem that Mountain Rescue are allocated a band around 80 MHz, so definitely best to keep away from there. At the end of the day if "CHHH - Charlie uniform november tango, what's your position, over - CHHH" an' that starts coming thru the rigs, we'll know what's going on straight away, and turn the bloody thing off ;)

Given the fact that most people's phones can act as FM receivers, they do make 12v link-ups WONDERFULLY simple!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply