Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 9:31am
"Don't take it as read that applying +ve to the +ve terminal will push the cone out."

Exactly. Always worth checking. Like your mains...  Wink

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Exactly. Always worth checking. Like your mains...  Wink

Shaggers? Is that you.

You never paid me my commission for those T-Shirts, you $*&"@.

But Yes, always meter your mains.....and buy a T-Shirt - from me.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 4:22pm
Yes, I´ve moved to avoid paying you...   Smile

What colours (and designs) do you have? I need some (cheap) xmas gifts.  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Carl2986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl2986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 4:47pm
The dB Technologies HPA3100L is only rated at 800w 8 ohm, its never advisable to run an amp to its max as you can get clipping but also in this instance there is no head room.
Have you tried taking the driver out of your enclosure and testing the driver on its own?
Have you tried using a bigger amp?

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 6:40pm
I would say 100% this is a phasing problem. The reduction of bass level on connection of the second box is a dead giveaway. It also pretty much rules out one driver out of two in a box being wired wrong - in that case there would just be no change in bass level on connection of the defective box, as it wouldn't have any net output at all itself. So you're looking for a Speakon wired back-to-front and assways; might be the socket on the box, might be on the cable you plug into the box, might be the output socket on the preceding box in the chain. 
As has been mentioned it is vaguely possible that the new drivers have the opposite phasing convention to the old ones, ie they *pull in* with positive voltage on the positive terminal. So if the troublesome box has two of the "new" drivers in it, they could be inherently out of phase with the rest of the system and need to be wired BACKWARDS. However, this hasn't been the convention for many years and would basically require them to be JBL or other American drivers from the 80's or earlier, which seems highly unlikely.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12