Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Charge Controller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Charge Controller
    Posted: 04 December 2014 at 4:18pm
I have a solar charge controller, I have tried charging up two 7Ah wired in parallel sla batteries with a 12v 1A dc power source however it doesn't seem to work.

I read that you need approximately 16v going into the controller to charge the batteries because that's how much a solar panel would output.

I have a 12v adjustable step up transformer, would it be a good idea to set that to 16v then have that between the psu and the controller?

I don't know if the psu has any current limiting, could the controller could just pull the peak output from the psu and potentially run hot/set on fire?

cheers
Cemetery Sounds
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 5:43pm
Depends on the controller. Most will have some sort of current limiting. You definitely need more voltage to get it to work. Maybe try it out with a 1A fuse in series and see what happens.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 11:41pm
Is it an MPPT solar charge controller??

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 11:43pm
How many Watts is your panel and how long did you try to charge it for? It's not been all too sunny lately I noticed.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

How many Watts is your panel and how long did you try to charge it for? It's not been all too sunny lately I noticed.

Don`t think there`s a panel involved. 

Is this what your doing?

Mains 240v AC- 12v DC PSU -> Solar Charge Controller -> Batts

Not really ideal? Are you just trying to maintain the batteries? If so maybe get a cheap 240v  motorcycle trickle charger and sack off the solar charge controller?

.p.

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 12:39am
on last going out with the rig i wired my panels directly into the batteries, with schottky diodes in series for reverse current and it work, 11v on the battery nicely stabilized whatever was coming out the panels.

only experimenting i was not worried about overcharging.
for controller - anything above 13 volt should give you some charge for 12v battery . if not get another controller, preferably with voltage and current display...

kingkwak View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingkwak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 8:32pm
Are the batteries suited to trickle charge? Or are they motorcycle batteries? If they are for the use you are intending then they should have a float charge rating (14.8vdc) and number of charge cycles. If you are local to Crawley in Sussex then I have a case and charger that will suit you. Free on collection.
To much power? NEVER.
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

Is it an MPPT solar charge controller??

.p.

It is a MPPT solar charge controller.

Its in a portable speaker I made, so to charge it up you can just plug a kettle lead in and it will recharge the battery without having to take them out and connect them to a charger.

They are these batteries:

Cemetery Sounds
 Post Reply Post Reply