Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Mini Sub filters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Mini Sub filters?
    Posted: 07 December 2014 at 2:01pm
I'm wanna build a small Sub to work as a satellite with my Boominator Micro.
Can folks point me in the right direction to find info on putting together a crossover/filter for this?
and I have an old Sub form a PC 5.1 system I'm planning to hack.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 2:25pm
http://www.xkitz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

This should do what you need, it's the only dedicated active crossover design that I know of, though there are probably others around the price is not bad and it comes as a kit if you prefer that. Other than that there's always passive but I assume the Boominator Micro already has it's own amp, batteries etc.

Is there a particular reason to choose an A/B amp for the sub? They're not very efficient and for sub especially that'll drain the battery very fast. The operating voltage (up to 25v) suggests it's going to need a 24v battery to produce 25 watts - 12v would give much less, maybe 8-10 watts?

This amp seems worth a look for this sort of application: http://www.dx.com/p/y148-audio-amplifier-module-93121 it can produce 20 Watts with 12v, or 30 if you can get 15v into it, and it has a built in clip limiter. (needs a heat sink added for 4ohm)

Edit: 

For a much more hands on option if you're up for a challenge - sourcing individual components and so on, there are more options, building a board from scratch. I'm researching similar myself at the moment but it's pretty daunting stuff!

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 December 2014 at 2:38pm
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 3:17pm
Thanks for that Hemisphere.
I chose that Amp because it was Mono and very cheap to experiment with.
Plus this will mostly be plugged in so I didn't think about the efficiency.
10w is probably enough...we'll find out.

Could I not make a X-over?
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 3:42pm
It's possible to make one as I mentioned. There are lots of resources/threads/projects available if you search. I don't know what skills you have but to me it seems daunting.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 8:52pm
Conrad has a 12db/oct 60/80/120hz active lowpass filter that works on 12v.

If you use the sub you have now you are probably massively underpowering the MINI. Rule of thumb for outdoor use is the sub being 6db louder than the Boominator (for the full size one at least). I suspect for indoors it can be just as loud as the MINI, but that still means it needs to go pretty loud. 

Equal sensitivity equal power (2x15 so 30w) could be an option. Higher sensitivity lower power or vice versa is also possible. I'd aim for a F3 of 40-50hz.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 9:55pm
Agreed on a 5.1 PC speaker sub being underpowered. An average PC sub is probably 80-82dB/watt - some even less than that.

Given that you're going to need in total: An amplifier, a speaker, a crossover, and a power supply, it may be that the best way to cut costs is to build a new sub rather than try to squeeze a decent output out of your old one.

That said there may well be a DC powered amp and an active crossover hidden inside the old sub so it's definitely worth a tinker if you know what you're doing.

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 December 2014 at 9:55pm
DIGIMAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIGIMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 12:51am
http://diyaudioku.blogspot.in/2013/04/rangkaian-subwoofer-untuk-mobil.html
 Post Reply Post Reply