Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phantom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phantom
    Posted: 17 January 2015 at 9:08pm
This isn't 12V but I thought I would put it here.

This looks very interesting, seen the ads on youtube before they revealed it.

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2015 at 9:18pm
"There is so much more to say about Phantom because it’s an entirely new product with 77 patented inventions inside. "

It's a speaker right?

It looks like it's been designed for the 'more money than sense' crowd rather than the 'cutting edge of future technology, today'. 

Apparently featuring 'heart bass implosion'. How can bass implode except in marketingland?

Edited by Hemisphere - 17 January 2015 at 9:28pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2015 at 10:32pm
Yeah. Not really 12V related.

Specifications look impressive although we all know they're just as real as unicorns and leprechauns are.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 12:18am
If they're putting 3000 Watts into it (or however much it actually is) they could easily achieve the stated numbers (20Hz bass response) by EQ'ing it up. 

It seems like a well engineered and interesting product and probably serves the target audience well enough (if you want 20Hz hifi at anything like a reasonable volume and impact in a package that small there aren't many options, let alone ones that will look nice on a pedestal in a posh living room).

I'd have more time for it if they didn't use such disengenuous marketing. It's not put up with at the low end (companies like Skytec and co with their 3000w PMPO carpet boxes), I think the only reason it's accepted at the high end is because generally the product is actually quite decent underneath all the fluff, due to the high end components, but the tactics aren't much different.
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 12:50am
It's well built and looks good too. I think it will find its way to peoples living rooms in the future. Being able to link up to 24 of these sounds cool but each one being £1390 (silver £1690), not so much.

I would never buy one, but wouldn't mind hearing it and seeing whether it lives up to its hype.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

If they're putting 3000 Watts into it (or however much it actually is) they could easily achieve the stated numbers (20Hz bass response) by EQ'ing it up. 

It seems like a well engineered and interesting product and probably serves the target audience well enough (if you want 20Hz hifi at anything like a reasonable volume and impact in a package that small there aren't many options, let alone ones that will look nice on a pedestal in a posh living room).

I'd have more time for it if they didn't use such disengenuous marketing. It's not put up with at the low end (companies like Skytec and co with their 3000w PMPO carpet boxes), I think the only reason it's accepted at the high end is because generally the product is actually quite decent underneath all the fluff, due to the high end components, but the tactics aren't much different.

Actually. There's two versions. One with 750W peak and one with 3000W peak. Or so they say. They list the peak dB as 99dB and 105dB respectively. Seriously? No power compression at all from doubling power into the same speakers twice over? And lets just ignore the fact that 2x 7" woofers (not sure they're 7" but seems reasonable when considering the dimensions and deducing the woofer size from that) would have move about 30mm p-p for 99dB at 20hz. Doable maybe but the same drivers doing 105dB at 20hz. Not likely. At least not more than once as the old saying goes: "x-max can be several meters but only once".

Now, they also claim 750W or 3000W output. However, I don't really see any heat sink or substantial power supply which they say is built-in that could make that possible without overheating within minutes as even with class D output stages and SMPS you'd have somewhere about 300W of waste heat at 1500W RMS if we assume overall efficiency is second to none at 80% from AC plug to speaker terminals.

Btw, 99dB peak at 750W also means sensitivity is about 70dB/W/m.

I don't understand why they don't just give the real specs. Seems like a fairly decent product although I have no idea who could possibly have any use for 20Hz extension as few residential homes have large enough rooms that it is even possible to hear a 20Hz wave in.

Edited by Saturnus - 18 January 2015 at 1:02am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 10:32am
The white paper: http://images.computeraudiophile.com/graphics/2014/1216/Devialet-PHANTOM-White%20Paper.pdf

It contains a lot of ® marks. Futuristic looking product with a lot of tech jammed inside. The price isn´t low, but also not insane. 
 Post Reply Post Reply