Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folded Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 11:53pm
Hog scoop would do 40 ish in singles wouldnt it
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Copa disco Copa disco wrote:

Hey dude don't waste your valuable time to reply/argue with professor Kidcreole...
Take a look at stipes free design the es18bhp. in stacks of 4 and more you will get 40hz and litlle lower and spl increases also.

No way, I've built and owned them, even with a 186 or old Fane 400, 45 is your lot with the Fane at low volume, and not that nice either. It's the same reason F1 do the Infra thing, those type of cabs cannot go low enough.
50 and up they are great, but they were designed by Stipe as a kick cab in reality.
Agree with Kid Creole, proper modern rolling sub bass aint gonna happen.
Soca would be good though.

Free 40hz single plan, SBH or Hog with help from eq IMHO.  WSX anybody?
 2 x 18 B&C TBx100 with 1" ply Big smile

Edited by nickyburnell - 20 February 2015 at 9:49am
It's everything, not everythink!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 2:08pm
hey

As everyone has said, unfortunately there's no free lunch.  If there was a bass cab that had the sensitivity of a horn, played below 40Hz and was a sensible size, we'd all be building them!

So your choices are huge horns as people have said like the SBH, labsub etc,  or use ported/tapped horns to still get some sensitivity but balanced out by a lower bottom end.

Even with the huge horns, while it may get below 40 if you measure it, it'll probably wont be massivly strong in that area, it'll need a few coupled together to do it with good authority.

Where as the tapped horns or ported horns, as said, will hit lower off the bat, but will only receive a little boost in their low end in multiples.

As with all speaker systems, you need to choose whatever compromise suits your situation. Can you live with the size and really power the low notes?  Or does the fact that ported/tapped horns sound broadly the same in different sized stacks mean you're much more flexible in terms of doing small and big gigs well?

All things you have to decide and then see what works out best.

k

osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 1:44pm
has anybody compared the startec sbh with the labhorn, both are optimised to be used stacked as 6 which is what I'm interested in. right now I'm using 4x BFM t30 3012lf and I just love that 30 Hz horn loaded sound, would be nice with a bit more spl from bigger boxes/drivers tho.

I like the simpler build and single 18" in the sbh compared to the labhorn but how do they compare?

thanks for answers!
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by osse osse wrote:

has anybody compared the startec sbh with the labhorn, both are optimised to be used stacked as 6 which is what I'm interested in. right now I'm using 4x BFM t30 3012lf and I just love that 30 Hz horn loaded sound, would be nice with a bit more spl from bigger boxes/drivers tho.

I like the simpler build and single 18" in the sbh compared to the labhorn but how do they compare?

thanks for answers!
Blasphemy... 

Bill clearly says that 18" drivers can't be used in horns... Wink
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 2:10pm
somewhat can understand where he comes from with that statement, as big cones suffer more from compression but it's still so much more to it so to rule them out is just plain ignorant. could I expect the same visceral articulate bass, just at higher spl's from the sbh? If so I'm really interested in it
sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by osse osse wrote:

thanks for answers!
Look around for a €12 comparison to BFM ,s folded horn over at Pro sound .com you may get so answer .

Edited by sn95 - 04 June 2015 at 9:32pm
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 9:21am
The way I went was BFM just to see how they sounded paid my dollar 50. Managed all those acute angles in the t30 got them built. I have to say not that impressed but they do work as stated. I soon realised that the only place to put a lab driver is in a lab horn. I am glad that I built a BFM stopped me wondering. But Mr Danley is the man and he don't charged $1.50. 
All that said and done again. ! I am itching  to build  some SBH's Having great trouble finding drivers here in Japan. For the gigs I want to do the horns are a must DJ's love them.  If I get them built I will let you know,have two of the set.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12