Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dewalt site radio pimp!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dewalt site radio pimp!
    Posted: 30 January 2015 at 4:29pm
I've got a Dewalt radio and it's crap. The Makita one sounds a lot better compared with it so I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the Dewalt rather than buying another. Ideally I'd like to build a boom box but I can't see it lasting long as it will either get nicked or broken or the site agent will think I'm taking the piss more than I already do and ban it all together. Has anyone got any ideas for drivers? I'm thinking a 6.5 coaxial and a passive cross over.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 4:33pm
If built properly a boombox can be very sturdy. 12mm multiplex, perforated steel driver grill, corner protectors, internals completely strapped down. 

There is not much choice for coaxials in the hi-fi world, maybe look at car audio drivers.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 5:12pm
why not some cheap 6x9s back to back in a sealed box with all the gubbins from your dewalt box inside and again using corner protectors and then spray it DeWalt yellow and stencil the name across the sides of it so it looks like an off the shelf unit.... and just be careful with the volume control.

...try in incoorperate a 50-60hz high pass filter too.  car audio isnt the best but with a little tweaking can get a good sound and be lot cheaper then "hi-fi" speakers with passive home made crossovers and the like. at least the 6x9s with have all that built on to it (bar the 50-60hz high pass which is fully recommended)

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 6:36pm
Most 6x9's need at least 10 liter per piece unless you want some serious peaking.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Most 6x9's need at least 10 liter per piece unless you want some serious peaking.

...your over thinking it.

a simpe 1ft3 cube is 27 litres alone... but the point i was making was to kep it small and rmove and sub bass so wen listening to a bit of pop music or a bit of rock you will still hear a nice bit of kick due to cone area of the two drivers.

you could use 4x 165cm co-ax car audio speakers if you want but then the inside of the box starts to fill up quickly with 4x magnets alone!

i was keepin it simple so it can be knocked together squickly and if done with the metal edges you see on old skool disco speakers and round metal corners and painted yeallow with dewalt stickers on it work SHOULDNT kick up to much of a fuss about it aslong as you keep the volume within reason.

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 9:27pm
Gut the dewalt, maybe transplant it in to a small plastic PA cab, like an 8"
Bike lock around the handle
Keep it looking subtle/scrappy
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 9:32pm
Or even a 5" or 6" install speaker like Tannoy di/dvs or jbl control
Just ditch the 100v transformer
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 10:02pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

ClapClapthats pretty sweet! nice for a car garage, but i think it would be too easy to break on site as it will be moved very often and itl get caked in dust/swarf/general muck. 

+1 on the plastic PA speaker, put an exo skeleton frame around it and you have yourself a very usable and nice sounding site cab! Thumbs Up
You can't polish a turd!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2015 at 1:12pm
I was just thinking of some 6.5" coaxils and a passive to replace what's there. JL do some nice stuff for cars which I imagine aren't to fussy about volume.
 Post Reply Post Reply