Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-DC up-converters.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-DC up-converters.
    Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:25pm
Well - I've been looking around (well mostly just ebay TBH) for the above.

Just seeing if its viable to power a 5630 amp module at around 35-40V from a 12V leisure battery or similar (as an alternative to using a class D car amp).

There's this one :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-DC-DC-600W-10-60V-to-12-80V-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Module-Power-Supply-UK-/350975904870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51b7cb4c66

Now the "600W" ain't gonna happen, as the input current is limited to 15A. So in this context, about 180W. Now this would be enough if that was average current, but we need peaks a good deal higher than that for audio amplifier purposes .....

So - asking anyone with better knowledge/experience - on this kind of module, is the power limitation primarily a thermal one, or an absolute one to include peaks ?

TIA.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:41pm
that looks pretty cool.  gonna order 1 an ave a play with it.
i have 1 that is limited to 64w from 12v source. an running a 100w amp. an seems to do the trick ok.
but will go upto 100w max if using above 20v.
i like to try it an see. cause sometimes the math fails these things.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 12:28pm
Just remember that with a Class AB Amplifier, you lose ~33% of what your PSU supplies is lost as heat, for a sinewave output.
So for a 100W amplifier, for example, your power supply would need to be really a minimum 133VA output

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 5:26pm
there is no mention of a class ab amp anywhere here,
although technically you are correct.  the info is useless in this case.
i like it when i get told it does not work , while i sitting here being asked by other occupants of the house to turn it down,

it not only works but works very well. the reason i commented about the supply not being big enough but still try it,
is because i using smaller than what should be used. but in the real world works fine.
the same as nearly every pro digital amp. the power supply is to small

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 6:59pm
Been running a TAS5630 board off a Sure "300 watt" boost module - using what looks to be near identical circuitry to that one - and it's worked out grand. I push just about 150 watts, between a sub on one channel and a mid-hi on the other, and it gets warm, but not hot. That's at 36v, I don't use it at 48v as it only has 50v rated caps in the output filter, they are not a well-known make, and I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. Should have 63v parts there, like the "500 watt" version does Cry
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Been running a TAS5630 board off a Sure "300 watt" boost module - using what looks to be near identical circuitry to that one - and it's worked out grand. I push just about 150 watts, between a sub on one channel and a mid-hi on the other, and it gets warm, but not hot. That's at 36v, I don't use it at 48v as it only has 50v rated caps in the output filter, they are not a well-known make, and I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. Should have 63v parts there, like the "500 watt" version does Cry

Yeah spotted the Sure offering after that post. You mean 150W total or 2 x 150W ? 4R or 8R loads ?

Wonder why ebay.co.uk only seems to "have" the 300W version whereas ebay.com has the 500W one ?

Does the Sure module regulate the o/p voltage or just multiply the i/p ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply