Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New compact bass design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 10:08am
Thanks Edd - I  had a bit of a delay getting the bits CNC cut - got parts to build 4 waiting to collect now though - might get them today and try a build at the weekend.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 11:14am
We wait with baited breath...

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 11:18am
Just called and apparently the guy doing my job has been away and didn't think to actually do it...Pretty poor service to be honest but it was cheap and I did change the order about 4 times...newbie errors :)
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 4:40pm
R you going to eq the boxes with a a minidsp (or something similar) so you have more control over the response? also iv built a little prototype box a wile ago with 9mm ply and used 6mm to stiffen it with good results light and rigid. 

I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 4:54pm
Edd I don't know - basically what I'll do with it depends on how it sounds, it will need EQ though yes.

I'm going to try and a/b with a well regarded reflex box of similar size and output. If the result is favourable in quality and output level I'd like to do kits for it as I mentioned, and that would involve dedicated electronics + batteries in the box area near the base, active crossover to an HF section (either external or a small column of full range drivers 'bolted' on to the front with a slight extension to the air path also) and a basic DSP with EQ.

If the results aren't so great I don't know what I'll do with it - probably keep developing that same basic format until it's good or else give up and do a reflex box in the same manner.

Whether people would actually want kits for something like that obviously I don't really know but the Raspberry Pi has been very popular despite basically being quite a rubbish computer ,just because it's cheap with a 'maker' vibe. I think that can extend to speakers and other things too ,if not this exact design then a similar small speaker kit, for practical use but also education (finishing/painting a box to your own finish, adding personal touches etc)

Edited by Hemisphere - 05 March 2015 at 5:05pm
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 5:00pm
i build prototypes all the time some good some not so good but there's nothing better than rolling up your sleeves and getting stuck in its the best way to learn. failure or success its all good.
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123