Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To all studio owners/producers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 4:35pm
Easiest is way it one (or 2) of these :-

you can then just yank out the HDD you are not using (and make VERY sure to put it somewhere safe!!)

HDDs are dirt cheap, but get a crappy PC to act as your "server" with a least 2 HDDs mirrored so you can backup your data, you can software dual boot but TBH this is a messy config as you recording Config  is always online and could be trashed by a mistake on your day-to-day config.

AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 4:59pm
Now thats a good idea! Never seen those before. Hoping to build a new machine soon as funds allow so I reckon I will go that route. Cheers!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 5:10pm
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 9:00pm
Do you know if those boards support native PCI? Reason being I am hoping to still use my M-audio delta 1010 sound card. Did some research a while back and found some promising looking boards with an Intel chipset that supported it. Cant remember what they were at the moment.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 12:45am
I've used the 1010 PCI boards with a cable to a 1u breakout box with the cheaper (760G chipset) one but not with a 990x as I had moved over to hammerfall by then, the cheaper board does only have 1 PCI-32 socket and a single PCI-e16 which I would strongly advise you put a shitbox £25 graphs card in as shared ram onboard graphs are a real poverty option and kill machine timelyness which is critical for low latency, I have a 990 rig I can slam your card it and test it if you wanted....

AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 5:56pm
Cheers shag! might take you up on that when the time comes. Do you have a preference for AMD over Intel or is it a cost thing?
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 8:39am
If your on a budget buy a cheaper machine or a old second hand one for the internet. Keep your studio PC clean.

I'm running Cubase PC, Zed 436 mixer and a Presonus Firestudio... Personally I'd prefer to of spent more on my audio interface and bought 2, totalling 16 inputs and not bothered with the mixer. Wire my hardware direct in and use the virtual mixer. The USB Zed only offers a 2 track input to PC, where as the firewire offers individual tracks. The Firewire version didn't exist when I bought the USB one.
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 10:16am
Originally posted by kr1sounds kr1sounds wrote:

i may go to pro tools 

Funny you should mention about 'Tools..... After working with Logic I think I would like to give 'Tools a try for mixing and re-mixing purposes. I think the workflow will be much easier and more efficient but I would not give up Logic as the MIDI side of it has always been comprehensive and I need that functionality.

It's just the initial set up cost for 'Tools which is putting me off for now. Need to make some hit tunes first with what I got.
Facebook: Masai Judah
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 4:19pm
I can second the 7x64 option if you are able to use the software that comes with it - rock solid. 

Don't let it talk to the internet, and don't install loads of crap on it. Have that as your audio machine and nothing else - take the time to keep it in good working order, and optimise it as much as you can (windows classic look/theme etc) and you'll have a fast, reliable machine for a lot less than the price of an equivalent mac.

I'm a Cubase user, formerly of Logic and 'Tools, but I find for my needs Cubase works really well on my PC and does what I need it to do.

I see 'Tools as essentially a big multitrack recorder - great for recording and mixing live sources, but I'm not a fan of the MIDI implementation compared to other DAWs.

Logic is great for general creative production, but sometimes unnecessarily complicated when it comes to recording, and although I've not tried Logic X they certainly dumbed down Logic 8 compared to 7....

Cubase seems to me to be a happy medium - simple workflow for recording with some clever and advanced routing options, and also pretty logical when it comes to MIDI use too. Not to mention the VST standard seems to have more plugins available to it than any other!

I think it all boils down to what works for you - depends what you do and what you need out of your DAW. I was so surprised at Cubase, as I had memories of using a shit VST32 machine at high school - now I am able to use it in a professional capacity with (what I consider to be) very satisfactory results.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123