Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 4" Drivers for car...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 4" Drivers for car...
    Posted: 13 March 2015 at 12:14pm
Hi All,

The time has come to upgrade the factory fitted nonsense in my car (the make of which will remain anonymous...) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to some decent 4" coaxial drivers? I don't have any room for components, or external amps so something 4r to make maximum use of the head units' power would be good.

I've been browsing ebay to see what I can find and trying to separate the wheat from the chaff is proving quite difficult. I don't want to spend a lot of money (under £50) but does anyone have anything they can recommend?

Cheers!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 5:09pm
Are you expecting full range from these drivers? As in no sub to go with? Does it have to be 4 or would 3 do if it was nice enough? Either are going to struggle to make much below 100Hz - presuming sealed box arrangement.

Faital Pro do a decent 4 inch full range (4fe25 I think or 4fe32) - also some good 3 inch neo drivers around from P Audio and Monacor (check Blue Aran or eBay '3 inch p audio' '3 inch monacor' etc). Actually most pro audio manufacturers offer something in the way of 3 or 4 inch full range drivers these days and they'll probably outperform car specific components and make good use of cabin gain to bolster out their shortcomings in the low end - If you've got any EQ in the system that'll help.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2015 at 5:50pm
look for some use audi bose speakers..... yes i said BOSE!... they do sound good in a car!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 9:35am
Hi Both,

Many thanks for the advice.

I have 4" mounting holes in my dash, and a cheap 10" sub in the boot - my head unit allows me to HPF the 4 inchers and LPF the sub so should be able to cross it all over reasonably effectively. The sub is an 'EDGE EDB10a', bought from Gumtree for a tenner - fills out the sound surprisingly well, and goes relatively loud and low to boot (forgive the pun). If only it wasn't luminous orange....

The head unit has also got a 5 band semi parametric EQ - Whilst I am a big advocate of clean signal paths and neutrality throughout my pro work, my brief forays into the ICE world seem to say otherwise!

I'll have a look at the Faital stuff - heard good things about it for pro audio.

Interesting about the Audi Bose stuff - this could be a good cheap second hand option.

Cheers!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 11:31am
Getting anything inside a car to sound neutral is not easy! Take any advice about PA stuff in cars with a pinch of  salt though, this may not be the best forum to ask about this really.
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 7:31pm
couple of these will sound great and drop low enough to connect with the sub 
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP4FE32AF&browsemode=category
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply