Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with power supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with power supply
    Posted: 25 March 2015 at 12:40pm
After a long search, I finally found a suitcase.  It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I want to get started on a build, so it'll do.

I have a lepai LP-2020 amp and I'm going to use a small 12v battery, but I don't know what I need besides the power supply (I'm looking at this one, but I'm not sure what else I need).  What parts do I need to order to be able to run on battery when I'm out and about, and run from a wall outlet when that's available.  I'm not sure if I'm making it more difficult than it should be, but I'm worried if its plugged in, it will overcharge the battery, but I want the battery to charge when plugged in, too.

Any help will be much appreciated!  I love looking at others' build pics so I promise to post mine up when I get it built.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2015 at 5:49pm
a 12V PSu won't charge the battery, you need over 13.8 to charge a SLA, the 12V nature of them is a bit of a misnomer...

may be a place to start
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 12:25am
Here's the amp, it came with a cord that reads 13.5v 3.0 amp. Could I get by with that or is that .3 volts going to be a problem? Maybe it would be easier to use that cord for the wall and a regular car battery charger to recharge?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 10:19am
What sort of battery are you going to use? A car battery charger is ok with car batteries, but may not work with Li, or other batteries. And be carefull with the charger, as some put out over 14v, which might not be good for the amp. You might need to charge the battery out of circuit.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:29pm
I'm planning on picking up something along the lines of this.  If I go the car charger route, I would just take the battery out to charge, I have a big car charger.  I was just hoping to keep everything internal, but I didn't know what all it entails.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 7:36pm
I think that there might be mistake in that link. 24Vac power supply?

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 9:16pm
how about a 13v dc supply wired in parallel to the battery, with a diode to prevent back current when a fully charged battery gets connected.
after diode volt drop it will leave something like 12.5v, enough to keep battery topped up  but not enough to overcharge it...
battery can take up a bit of the load if power supply will be not enough for the amp.
got a plan like that for my system, i want to get a small suitcase generator for a back-up, when battery levels go too low.

crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 2:37am
Originally posted by amlu amlu wrote:

how about a 13v dc supply wired in parallel to the battery, with a diode to prevent back current when a fully charged battery gets connected.
after diode volt drop it will leave something like 12.5v, enough to keep battery topped up  but not enough to overcharge it...
battery can take up a bit of the load if power supply will be not enough for the amp.
got a plan like that for my system, i want to get a small suitcase generator for a back-up, when battery levels go too low.

That's exactly what I originally had in mind, I just didn't know how to ask.  What kind of diode?  Would it be possible to use an LED to get some use out of the, otherwise wasted, energy?

Edited by crossed - 27 March 2015 at 2:39am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 9:37am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 12:00pm
Hi, Thanks for the replies!  I picked up a 13.8V Ac adapter, and have a couple more questions.  To run with a diode 13v was suggested, will a diode still work with a 13.8 or do i need to (or can I) run multiple diodes in series to drop voltage a little more?  Since the Lepai amp comes with a 12v AC adapter will 13.8v harm the amp?

Is this diagram correct, or is the diode in the wrong place?  Or do I need a diode in more than one location?

I promise I'll get this eventually, and hopefully if I can work through my problems, it will help at least one other person.  And, seriously, thanks for everything, I feel like a 5 year old trying to ask adults for help.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by crossed crossed wrote:

Since the Lepai amp comes with a 12v AC adapter will 13.8v harm the amp?

The Lepai amp (assuming its the Tripath 2020 one) will be fine with 13.8V - but don't go any higher.
I'd suggest measuring that voltage though before plugging it in - if its a switch-mode supply it'll be fine, but if a transformer one, the open circuit voltage could be a good deal higher.

Also - I'd suggest :-

Unless you can design, build, and test a circuit for dual battery charging and powering the amp ..... well just settle for AC operation via your AC adapter OR battery powering - and leave out the simultaneous operation.... also use a "proper" battery charger for the battery - anything else will likely not charge the battery properly and/or shorten your batterys life.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 2:23pm
The diagram looks fine and as long as they can handle the current, you can put more diodes in series to drop the voltage.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply