Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If only there was a footswitch expert on the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If only there was a footswitch expert on the forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 11:02pm
I'm sure shag would have something to say about this!
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 10:56am
Hi guys

I think you guys are more technically qualified than I am to advise Matt on how best to do this, but if there is some sort of welding forum that you want me to join and then use every opportunity to stray off topic and steer the lack of or price of welding footswitches in to the topic, every topic then I am at your service..

Seriously I have never thought about having a footswitch on my stick welder, but now wonder how I have coped without it, all that " just brush the rod against something metal to see where I am" approach could be history.

Let us know how you get on Matt

Cheers

Kev
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2015 at 12:05pm
Only get a Wah as haven't seen a Vol (or Exp) as tuff looking as a Dunlop Wah!!!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2015 at 10:17am
Ok Folks, update.

I can now tig! Flexy fitted to my good exhaust pipe, gastight at worst, but not anything to take pictures of! Need a little more practice.

I am also the owner of a Vox WAH 485, which is winging its way to me via the joys of Ebay.

Diecast box, large pedal, and loads of space inside to mod to silly levels. Having used my machine using front panel dial, foot control of current is definitely the way forward.

@Kevin - Stick Welding - urghh. Mig is nice, but you have to work at the wire feed rate. Tig doesn't get stuck as you start the arc, and you choose how much filler to apply, think soldering at 1500C. From my point of view and ability, I choose how much bird sh*t appears  on my weld, rather than the mig.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 10:33am
Hi Matt

I would love to go on a course and learn some skills but unfortunately it's all I can afford the old stick welder, horrible smelly and lots of grinding required too,

" Stick for goodness sake stick you bastard" is a common phrase heard in my workshop, I think cutting the rods in half helps a lot of the time.

Cheers
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 12:05pm
I cheated - I took a punt on a Thermal Arc 181i, which is a three in one machine, so MIG, TIG and Stick. Machine cost me £650 inc, and included a nice MIG (euro) torch, multiple sized drive rollers, earth lead and Stick electrode holder.

Tig torch cost me £79 inc, then about £30 in bits and bobs to complete it (Tungsten electrodes, collets, gas shrouds, etc). Then £180 for 20L/200 Bar argon, inc Deposit, regulator and pea flow valve indicator. £62 for a refill.

I picked up a huge pile of wire and rods from a PP Auctions thing, another £20, but easily £300-400 worth of stuff new.

Whenever I have seen stick done, even by experienced bods, it looks like absolute ball ache.

However, with hindsite, I should have just gone for a HF Start, AC/DC, Tig machine, good for 250A from single phase. You can TIG anything, you only need one sort of gas, for all steels and Ali, and it is so much more delicate, and offers so much more finesse than anything else. It is like soldering, or gas brazing.

I find MIG happens a bit too fast for my skill levels. The thickness of plates dictates wire speed and voltage, so you have to work at that rate. Stick is just vicious, and all that chipping seems like BS to me. TIG requires you to be relaxed, probably seated and certainly, with a footswitch, you work at the rate that you dictate. Given its potential delicate nature, easily keep a cup of tea on the same bench, without fear of contamination! Sort of Radio 3 or 4 in the background, rather than Kerrang? Much as I like a bit of metal, I can see the appeal of Welding in slippers, must be my advancing years.

Spares for TIG are cheap too, and for any size torch (Mine is a WP17) generic bits for a WP17 fit all WP17 torches. Lanthanated tungstens do away with any worry of the radiation of Thoriated tungstens. (Only really a danger if you breath in the grinding dust, as you sharpen the tip on the tungsten to a point).

TIG is the way to go. Just need a fecking foot switch....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12