Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tried this ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tehnicar007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried this ?
    Posted: 29 March 2015 at 11:33am
I am interested in making these boxes. 

I am interested in your tips and experiences with this speaker.  Smile

Beer
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 2:26am
To me it just looks like a bass-reflex box, although I'm not exactly a pro in speakers designs.

What I can tell you though is that each box will require very high output power to be run properly, ideally you want to look at program power which is 3600W for each speaker and would be a total of 7200W per box. Not every speaker needs to be run at its program power rating but it's a rule of thumb.
Secondly you want to have an amp that's capable of delivering these 7200W but it also has to have some headroom.

If you don't know what's headroom I'll explain this to you in the simplest way: you wanna drive these speakers to 7200W, you get an amp able to do 7200W at 4ohms and you run them to the maximum power of that amp but as soon as there's a very loud bass kick coming in your amplifier clips.
Clipping is bad as it can damage your speakers way more easily than giving them more power and you want to avoid it, so what do you do? You get a bigger amp!
No, you don't want to run run these speakers with more power on the bigger amp but it will hardly clip, no clip more safety.
Speakers can substain much higher power than their program rating as long as it's not continuous (eg. a bass kick or a wobble), clipping however generates a continuous tone and can damage the speakers way more easily than higher power.

My point is: it may be good but it needs proper power and that's not for free, I would consider this an expensive build overall.

Edited by Darkstar - 05 April 2015 at 2:29am
Bass =/= Enough
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Darkstar Darkstar wrote:

What I can tell you though is that each box will require very high output power to be run properly, .
Sorry but that is simply not true. The drivers specified in the plans can handle a very high power level but that doesn't mean they require it.
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

What I can tell you though is that each box will require very high output power to be run properly, .
Sorry but that is simply not true. The drivers specified in the plans can handle a very high power level but that doesn't mean they require it.

True but some drivers tend to sound different at different volume levels afaik, and even if run at AES rating these boxes need quite a bit of power.
I wasn't saying you MUST run them at that certain amount of power.

Edited by Darkstar - 05 April 2015 at 8:05am
Bass =/= Enough
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 4:03pm

some drivers tend to sound different at different volume levels,
To me when a sub driver starts to sound different is when it's being overdriven, and I'd speculate many members that post here like that sound and that is why there are so many posts saying you "need" XXX thousands of watts to power subs.

Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2015 at 5:51pm
Well there's drivers that run wonderful at their program tho, if they are overdriven you should be able to hear that. Sounding different doesn't have to mean it's being overdriven, although I catch your drift and reckon you are probably right on most of the situations.
Bass =/= Enough
 Post Reply Post Reply