Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar charging lithium cells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar charging lithium cells
    Posted: 03 April 2015 at 1:42pm
Looking at the possible available options for solar charging lithium cells, can't seem to find a cheap reliable looking option. Lots of possible hacks/diy ideas floating around. I'm concerned about how well the charging would be balanced between cells. If balanced charging for lipos is so important to regulate when using mains chargers why would it not be equally important when using solar controllers?

As a dedicated solution these look very  nice: http://solbianzonnepanelen.nl/laadregelaar/mppt-regelaars-t-m-15a-lithium-accu-s/gvb10-lithium with the option to buy them with charging voltages tailored to certain cell voltages and arrangements common in lithium packs.

Not cheap at almost £150 but the price of the panels has fallen so sharply in recent years, that absorbs some of the overall outlay.

Would it be safe to wire up a series of lipo cells in series/parallel to a charger like this? Thinking of 4s 5p. With an intermediary BMS if necessary. Are there any other/better options out there?

Edit:

Edited by Hemisphere - 03 April 2015 at 3:02pm
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2015 at 1:34pm
I've been looking at the victron range of mppt chargers, they can be programmed to set votages and max current. They seem ok with lifepo4 as far as i can tell as they have a range of them, start at around 70 quid.

http://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt-75-15

I am going to get one when i am at crick boat show as usually deals to be had...

Dupe...
Dupe...
 Post Reply Post Reply