Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a reflex or more a scoop/horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a reflex or more a scoop/horn
    Posted: 24 April 2015 at 5:37pm
18" sub
I'm assuming this is a reflex, assisted by horn properties, because it doesn't have the scoop paths behind the speakers in the chamber. But what makes up the port? The gap is about 1 1/2 inches where the baffle comes towards the back. the brace on the bottom is about 5" tall. I though about putting a deflector in the bottom back corner like the 186 horns have. But any thoughts on what type of enclosure this is? I like the way they sound and they are compact for 18's.

JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 8:34pm
highly tuned reflex.

Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
Trinidad_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 10:43pm
Great thanks!

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:54pm
A hybrid (tapped rear loaded band pass horn), can be simulated in Hornresp as a tapped horn with a rear chamber and 0.01 cm length for L12.

Will have some gain over a reflex if tuned right, usually more as frequency rises. The effect can be quite significant from 80 Hz and up.

Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 25 April 2015 at 2:05pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 1:34pm
It's sort of a tapped horn, but at the frequencies of interest (bass one assumes) the horn loading is going to be negligible to non existent and then it'll probably behave more like a reflex.

Sim it in Akabak or HR and see how it compares to just a reflex box maybe.
Trinidad_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 6:44pm
Thanks for the input everyone, I don't have any experience with HornResp but I can probably figure it out.  I've built a couple 186 Horns but never really heard of tapped horns.  But these "down firing" subs as they're called by the manufacter sound good I'm just trying to understand the design more. I calculated the chamber at about 2.85 cuft, so this should help me find replacement drivers a bit easier.  The driver they ship with are a bit weak.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 8:34pm
Totally, there's loads of good tutorials on the net to get you started. Have a crack!
 Post Reply Post Reply