Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v questions?
    Posted: 24 April 2015 at 8:08pm
I've just upgraded my old van to even older one and it has no sounds. I'm considering trying to run a little setup using some of the experience gained from building my 12V box, but could use some advice before I go buy anything, so thought I might post it here and see what feedback I get.

Basically, hi-fi quality sound is not a priority as I will have to contend with the noise from the engine, the road and the wind whistling through the gaps in the windows. Space and visibility are my main consideration. 

The plan is to use a bluetooth receiver into an amp fixed under the front bench seat. Some mid drivers and tweeters in custom boxes mounted under the dash parcel tray, and a small sub behind the front seat. the stuff I want to use so far are.....

- Sure Bluetooth 4.0 receiver.

- Bass Face DB4.2 Four Channel Class D amp

- Faital Pro 4FE32 4" drivers for mids.

- Dayton Audio ND16FA Tweeters

My questions are.....

1 - Would an iphone into the bluetooth receiver provide enough signal into the amp? I don't want a car stereo head unit but would get one just for the bluetooth if the signal was stronger.

2 - It looks to me like the DB4.2 can do two channels at 4 ohm for the hi/mids and a bridged channel for a sub at 2 ohm. I'm not expecting it to shake the windows. Has anyone used this amp before? does this look cool?

3 - I have limited space under the dash so want to use 4" drivers. I've used Monacor SP60's in my tricycle rig with a TA2020 and I think they would provide enough volume. Looking at other threads I'm under the impression that the Faitals would be better?

Any other thoughts or advice would be great. Need some much needed tunes for those long journeys. Thanks!

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 8:28pm
1 - probably,  the Sure module is meant for line signal outputs. Besides the amp has adjustable gain.

2 - haven't tried it. It's a brand new product in their amp line but I generally can recommend bassface amps (as long as you consider they are good value for money but might not be state-of-the-art).

3 - try the sp60s first, what can go wrong with those? They're a perfect match for your tweeters anyways :D

scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 9:12pm
Thank Saturnus. That's great to get the green light from you. Most of my ideas have come from previous posts of yours anyway! LOL

Mrs Fury wants me to make sure there's some sounds in the back, where kids are, so that I can pipe some Peppa Pig or Frozen when they're screaming their head's off stuck in traffic. I would like to add another pair of mid 4" and tweeters. Is this right?

1 - I use Monacor 4" 4 ohm drivers and wire each to a Dayton tweeter in series. This gives 10 ohms.
2 - I put a capacitor (6.8uF?) in series on the positive connection between the 4" and the tweeter.
3 - I wire the front L & R drivers in parallel with the rear L & R pair, and this gives me 5 ohm.

It's a bit like a boominator wiring plan? 

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 11:14am
Amazing energy/weight ratio on that Bass Face amp if the specs are true. 2 grams per Watt? 
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 1:41pm
Is that an old Split VW??

lets see the outside....!

p
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

Is that an old Split VW??

Yeah, '57 with working semaphores! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 4:29pm
Looks like I'm limited for space, in depth, for my bass speakers behind the front bench seat. Is there anywhere I can get some Aura NS6's in the UK? 

Or is there an equivalent 6.5" that could provide some bass? Nothing earth shaking. Not expecting 30Hz! Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply