Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover phase help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:16pm
I'm doing one for my system and i know my crossover points. Used the same ones for years 
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:31pm
Yep, I am sure you do.

I was not talking about crossover points, I was commenting on adding all-pass filters to linearise the phase response ... its the phase response of the xover+driver you have to correct, not the xover alone. 
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:43pm
Oh, ok i get you. Dont know much on all pass filters, where would they go in the circuit?

fostonshfs.webs.com
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 6:25am
All-pass filters can in theory be inserted into any or all of the Xover bands.

However usually at the outputs so as to compensate also for component tolerance variations and others such as individual speakers, etc, to a greater extent.

Makes a big difference to the transient performance of a system when properly set up.

Have a look here:
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/living-analog/4375814/All-pass-filter-phase-shifter
Not the only web-page on this by a long way..... but does cover the 'basics' and some of the design maths.... together with basic cascading of them

Mik

Edited by audiomik - 03 May 2015 at 6:41am
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by kr1sounds kr1sounds wrote:

what one would i use. i'm using the OPA2134 but i'll sim it with TL072

Use anything for now just to get it working. When that works you want to use a universal op-amp and then obtain a SPICE model for an OPA2134. Make the universal opamp use the SPICE model (pretty easy).
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by RobinMatrix RobinMatrix wrote:

Before you get too carried away with all-pass filters to linearise the phase do please remember one key point, something that is continually forgotten by many:

The phase and frequency response you want to get right are *NOT* the response of the corssover ... but the response of the SYSTEM ... that means crossover, amp and drivers. 

It is completely pointless adding all-pass and making subtle tweeks to get the electrical response of the filter right when the response is going to be the product of the filter, the amp and the driver ... you can make the sum of the crossover perfectly flat and linear phase ... but the actual response of the system will be pants, because you have to take into account the drivers.

The simplest illustration of this is you design a perfect 12db an octave roll off for the HF, and you position the FF3 point at 4Khz .. the HF driver itself also drops off below 4KHz at around 6dB an octave so the actual response (and phase shift) is related to an 18dB/octave slope, not 12dB so your theoretical corrections are wrong.

And yes, because of the Bode relationship,  whenever you get a change in the frequency response, you get a change in phase .. so if you were wondering if the drivers changes in response where it falls off will produce a phase shift, yes they will.

And finally, there is the delay/phase shift from driver positioning ... you can add all-pass filters and get the electrical response right, but could well be making the acoustic response worse, as you are adding delay to something that needs delay removing ...

Ever wondered why many passive crossovers have a single pole filter on the bass and a two pole on the HF?  They often have the same slope on the HF and LF sides of the curve simply because the designer is using the HF roll off of the bass driver to provide the other pole. You have to consider the system, not just one part of the system to find the frequency and phase response.

My advice: don't bother trying to correct the xover response ... plot the actual system response and get that right.

+1 and then some Clap

Originally posted by kr1sounds kr1sounds wrote:

I'm doing one for my system and i know my crossover points. Used the same ones for years 

Shocked

Just to add, it's good to see someone having a go at designing their own filter Clap but as mentioned it is the sum of the system that is important, if your loudspeakers are aligned 'acoustically' and the frequency response is flat for approx an octave either side of the xover point then it should work ok but anything less and you may want to measure the response of the complete system as you go.

etc

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 04 May 2015 at 12:05am
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2015 at 8:57pm

i'm thinking of using a 12 db/octave filter with an all pass filter to make sure the phase is correct. is this worth doing?

fostonshfs.webs.com
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 10:56am
The filter really needs to be 'tuned' to each particular system you´re using, so it´s a bit more complicated than just chucking in an all pass. You need to analyse the whole system with something like SMAART and tweak the phase then. I think you´re overcomplicating the whole thing, really.   Smile
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2015 at 11:11am
+1. Stick to simulating and designing your basic 3 way. If you haven't managed to sim that successfully then there's no point in adding more complications to your life that you can't predict either.

You probably do not need an allpass, and you won't know for sure until you've measured the total system response. For now just ensure that your crossover outputs are in phase with each other and go from there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123