Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subs as kick bins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:31pm
but the idea of a kick bin is not to get all the sound of the kick drum going through the same speaker, it's to get the high energy parts of the kick (80-200Hz) out of the midrange speakers where it can eat up headroom and muddy the bottom of the vocal range.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

but the idea of a kick bin is not to get all the sound of the kick drum going through the same speaker, it's to get the high energy parts of the kick (80-200Hz) out of the midrange speakers where it can eat up headroom and muddy the bottom of the vocal range.

That would depend on the frequency response of the drivers being used as tops. If there is a dip in the frequency response from the tops, the kick bass drivers will fill in gap. This is why listening while tuning will determine how high to roll-off the drivers being used as kick bass.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:34pm
That's what I'm observing on the Bill's OT12. They seem to have a dip on the 100Hz-150hz area. Maybe because of the short horn on them.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:48pm
I had OT12s once upon a time...

We added kickbins (ASS BS500s) and the kick was great then but the tops just couldn't keep up with them.

Don't test the champignon sound
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

We added kickbins (ASS BS500s) and the kick was great then but the tops just couldn't keep up with them.

How high did you cross your OT12's?

I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Might have 6 ass bs500s for sale soon
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:10pm
We settled for about 180Hz as I remember.

I didn't really like those tops. I'm not convinced that they were much louder than reflex.

I think the port frequency of them is very high too which puts a phase inversion from the port right in the kick region. Not ideal.
Don't test the champignon sound
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:23pm
Have a listen to a Jim Reeves track some time, to see how low, vocals will fall.

But I guess to some, meaty mic response is not priority.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:52pm

Originally posted by ychole audio ychole audio wrote:

That's what I'm observing on the Bill's OT12. They seem to have a dip on the 100Hz-150hz area. Maybe because of the short horn on them.

Short horns will not go very low. You would need to have a depth of a Cerwin Vega L36 to achieve 100 Hz in a midrange horn.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by ychole audio ychole audio wrote:

Short horns will not go very low. You would need to have a depth of a Cerwin Vega L36 to achieve 100 Hz in a midrange horn.

Best Regards,

Thank you Elliot for the info. I would designate a separate reflex box to take those frequencies then.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123