Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's up with this line array??!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:57pm
Back in the late 80's they installed the JBL system in all of their resorts.  Bognor's sounded very good.  I remember the bass when I was a kid.  TCB subs mounted in the stage.  Deep, tight and able to hear every note.  Very define.   Sounded very good from effectively a simple system.

Like i've said I have not heard the Martin Audio system so cant really comment.  Just heard from other people.  Too many variables.  Perhaps too much fiddling. 
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Mircea Bartic Mircea Bartic wrote:

because it's new , shiny and looks cool

some people buy with their eyes not their ears...Dead

I see this every day

a lot of people 'listen' with their eyes LOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:28pm
I've heard Longbow sound very good in massive hangs on big festival stages outdoors. Sounds like the wrong tool for the job. I have nothing against line arrays used properly.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:56pm
It would be interesting to to know if anyone from Martin reads this thread, not a good advert for them. Obviously not the gears fault though.
I recently went in a bar that I re-installed the original Bose system in some years ago when it needed a re-wire (No I didin't spec it in the first place). It had been replaced with a XXXXXXXXXX (yes brand kept hidden) mini line array. It was installed badly and sounded terrible. Drivers bottoming out as the guy with his CDJ's was trying to get as much level out of it as he could.
Oh well, not my problem anymore.

Edited by Wikl109 - 24 May 2015 at 10:15pm
Cheers, Chris.
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:28pm
It maybe the wrong system for the job or the placement of the speakers or the EQ.  The speakers are effectively hung in the middle of the room now the stage has been moved forward.   The acoustics in that room are quite challenging.  I went to Butlins Bognor twice in 2003 and the second time I went the infills had terrible delay at the sides of the room. 

I remember back in 1998 before all these changes and room being larger Technotronic Pump Up The Jam was played at high level and that EAW system absolutely shone.  It was great. Roared with immense power and bass

Edited by shaun1264 - 24 May 2015 at 10:33pm
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:40pm
I love hearing that track on a decent system Shaun!
Cheers, Chris.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:04am
hey

While overtaken now by K1 and MLA, Longbow was definitely up there as one of the very best of the now older generation of line array, and still holds it's own VERY well on large stages when used properly. 

But the clue is in the name, its designed for BIG stages and long throw; for a small indoor theatre, it is NOT the right tool unfortunately. Same as any speaker pointsource or otherwise, can sound great when used properly and chosen for the right reason, will sound pants if not.

I would guess that whoever did the install was able to get the boxes cheap because a hire company was moving it on as they upgraded, and so the promised the earth and how amazing it'd sound. It has a relatively powerful top end specifically because it's designed to throw long distances, and with only 5 a side there wouldn't have been as much coupling as usual to help the mid along. 

Even saying that though, it's such a quality system that they're all problems that I'm sure could have been solved had someone taken the time to set it up and EQ it properly, which it sounds like they haven't.

In terms of sub, while not up to our standards lol, three martin double 18" a side should be able to make some sort of thump. But I'd guess they deliberately dial it down both because they want to appeal to the full range of kids all the way to OAP's and don't want complaints, and also to keep the noise down for surrounding shops/venues/entertainment/sleeping guests. 

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 25 May 2015 at 10:07am
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:40pm
Kevin, I think you've hit the nail on the head. With regard to lack of general bass, Centre stage is on top of Reds venue, so may have wound it down so as not to bleed through, though curiously I could feel and hear sub bleed through from reds in Centre stage!! Seems that Reds has a system more to my taste!!!
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Kevin, I think you've hit the nail on the head. With regard to lack of general bass, Centre stage is on top of Reds venue, so may have wound it down so as not to bleed through, though curiously I could feel and hear sub bleed through from reds in Centre stage!! Seems that Reds has a system more to my taste!!!

It's exactly like this in Minehead, I wonder were the systems all set up by the same person?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12