Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ATC 15" loaded general purpose bass / kick box.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATC 15" loaded general purpose bass / kick box.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiofun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATC 15" loaded general purpose bass / kick box.
    Posted: 27 May 2015 at 9:40pm
Hello.

I would be very grateful for some help with BR calculation. I've got 4 15" drivers (ATC PA100-375BLC / Martin l1540). The desired box would be a general purpose bass bin to cover typical range of ~40-120Hz (plus in other configuration to act as kick/midbass ~90-250Hz). External dimensions need to be: 572mm x 500mm. Depth of the box is to be calculated as well as the ports. I wish to make them in all four corners of the box (triangle shape, something similar in appearance to the Martin Blackline s15).

When I type the specs of the driver to a calculator, it gives me weird values, eg. box volume = 17.3l :)

Here is the calculation shot:

Here are the driver specs:

I don't know if these drivers are really suitable for BR loading. Martin used them in their bass horns mainly. However, they made also some floor monitors, in which these drivers were reflex loaded.

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:12am
I would stick to using them in horn loaded kick bins or mid-tops/wedges.  They're not ideally suited to a reflex sub.  You'd probably find they'd need a lot of EQ to flatten out the bottom end.
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:49am
stick m in a cubo15, it's a very forgiving design and works with a wide range of drivers.
Got the 12 inch atc75-314 bass myself and buiding cubo12's for them as we speak.
Will post a buildlog soon as they are almost finished.
audiofun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiofun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 1:01pm
Hey,
I'm still struggling with this design. Could anyone help with advice, please, on how to modify HD15 to make it play nicely up to 250Hz? I think if the box was close to the TSE115 and loaded with the PA100-375blc it would cover well the required spectrum: 50-250Hz. Am I wrong?

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

PS. Jerronimo, how is your Cubo12 project going?

Edited by audiofun - 21 January 2016 at 1:02pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 1:09pm
You would be better off making the bph 238 but even that may struggle up to 250hz. Reaching up the youd want something with less of a front chamber, like the martin 115, i believe it goes up that high, not my personal experience but just want ive read. Hope that helps
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 1:34pm
the "bph238" is the plan for the turbosound tb215.. they did used to run them up to 250hz alright.. i've always been curious to try the atc drivers in them to see how they do.
audiofun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiofun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 1:53pm
Hi,
Yes, the 238 seems to be the route for me, thanks for that link.
Just a question: could the front of the box be rescaled to  572mm x ~500mm? I really need the 572 dimension to have well looking stack ;)

EDIT: forgot to mention, will make a single 15 boxes, stacked as a pair on top of a 18" sub.

Edited by audiofun - 21 January 2016 at 1:55pm
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 2:00pm
I see, thats good to know. Ive always liked the look of the design over on hornplans.fr.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 4:18pm
Some of the very first Turbosound TMS3's were fitted with the ATC 15 BLC and the reasons for changing to custom spec Fanes were cost and exclusivity, not performance.
A TB215 is the same as the low section in a TMS3, so it should work OK.

Post Reply Post Reply