Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XE5002

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 10:31am
XE5002 gives more than twice power of the Crest 8001 on 2Ω.

It has exceptional low-freq. response (flat bellow 5Hz or so..) + handles reactive loads well, aka. regenerative braking of the voice coil like in the electric cars.
Sabbelbacke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabbelbacke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 10:34am
We use it for mobile PA and in a Club, it runs very stable on even 2 Ohm Loads (The fan goes up the quite a bit, but who cares, nobody hears it at this level) und has very good control, even on very low frequencies (20Hz Infras). Given the very good power supply, these Amps are our favorite for bass applications, Very good "bang for the buck" :)
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 10:40am
i presume the xd will handle equally well. definitely been thinking about a couple of these for something...
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 10:46am
Yes they do seem good value, for me in Australia the PKN is almost 1/3 price of Powersoft, and I have been reading a number of interesting opinions about heavyweight amps vs Class D amps and cone/driver control/accuracy that make me want to run some comparisons.

Is anyone able to comment regarding the XE/XD 5002 performance on 2ohm on 10a/13a plug/socket vs a heavyweight such as CA18/8001?
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 11:58am
Delivers twice of the power compared to CA8001 with same or less AC current pulled form the mains (+PFC).

The output and sound quality do not drop if mains level falls -20% while CA would loose almost 40% of its power..
What else are you interested?
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 12:31pm
Out of interest, on musical content (from your experience) how many amps do you see the XE5002 pull at full power?

I think am at the stage I will look into arranging a unit to hear the comparison on my subs.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 12:42pm
Having tried the PKNs numerous times, and put them up against many other amplifiers, I can confirm the musicality and control is EXCELLENT. They deliver the power well, with low distortion.

The only 'negative' point is that because the quality is so good, the cone control is good, and the distortion is low, they can 'sound' quieter than other amplifiers even though it is as loud. A big factor in this is low distortion - even a relatively small level of distortion can make things sound a lot louder.

So if you want rough, raw power than makes your bass drivers flap around like a flag in a hurricance, the PKN is probably not your thing. If you want refined, precise control then it most definitely is.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345