Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swollen Li-ion Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaize110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swollen Li-ion Batteries
    Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:17pm
To avoid thread-jacking the other thread currently going on about lithium batteries, I thought i'd start my own.

I have a couple of lithium batteries from back when China would ship them to the UK that I have used for running my small 12V setups.

One is fine, but the other has become slightly swollen after a period of no use. Does anyone have any expertise regarding this? 

Is it still safe to use, is there a way to reduce the swelling, or should I be looking for somewhere to dispose of it?

Edited by Blaize110 - 06 July 2015 at 7:18pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:26pm
You can try charging it at a very low rate, the gasses may recombine and the battery shrink back but you need to be very careful and do it in a safe place.

Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries do not like being stored in a discharged state.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:35pm
I would get rid of it as fast as possible to be on the safe side. What's £15-£20 for a new battery compared to having your house burnt down?

Edited by Saturnus - 06 July 2015 at 7:35pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 8:35pm
This guy has a great solution (not):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE9FFy_MbC0

But seriously, get a high quality pack the next time. You don't want to have these, they aren't even that cheap when you factor in cycle life.

Blaize110 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaize110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 9:40pm
Thanks for the tips, looks like it's about time to replace this one then.
 Post Reply Post Reply