Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any body used 186's with X1's ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any body used 186's with X1's ?
    Posted: 21 July 2015 at 8:35pm
Hi guys I have been building some X1's and went to a party at the week end where a mate had 1 186,2hd's and a single mt102 I was quite taken by the sound of the 186 and felt a healthy punch from it so would like to know how they would sound with X1's as I'm already committed with the X1 cabs I have built and thought I may like to build four 186's his were only loaded with eminence drivers too that way I could run X1 for sub and the 186 cabs for bass/mid bass upto my EV mth1 tops how do you think it might sound?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 8:55pm
I don't use x1s but I do use 1850s which are pretty damned similar to 186s in everything but the chamber and driver. I built a set of band pass subs to go with the 1850s for the lowest frequency rumbles while still getting all of the audible efficiency of the 1850s. Basically anything under 56 hz is better produced by the sub subs. Is it necessary? Probably not. Do I like it? Hell yes.

Timing and phase need consideration though or the extra band can be more harmful than good.

Edited by b grade - 21 July 2015 at 8:56pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

Timing and phase need consideration though or the extra band can be more harmful than good.
+1

Plus its a very expensive way just to cover 30-50hz seeing as X1's need fairly expensive drivers to run properly e.g. PD1850/V18-1000. 

186 horns are all in one bass boxes. Need to drop lower? Add more horns

A pair of HD15 per side would be better IMHO
You can't polish a turd!
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 11:44pm
I was going to run the X1's up to around 80hz then the 186's take over from there to where the EV mth1's meet them hd's are not that musical really and apparently no good for live pa
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 6:36am
ES18?
You can't polish a turd!
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 6:54am
Yes cookie I thought about those but really liked the sound of the 186
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 8:04pm
yes i have, and the X1's PAudio loaded couldn't keep up in this configuration.... Id rather have more 186 horns than a mix of the two.... this was a linkup i guess between me and another [ex?] member.

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 31 July 2015 at 8:04pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply