Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W10 - anyone brave enough yet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2015 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

My MBP is much older, and bootcamp only thinks its capable enough to run windows 7. I can do the same trick using a 7 disk and got that working fine.

However the problem is that I want to the create a third partition for data that both OS's can see and write too. 

Doing this however creates the dual problems that the version of the Windows partition table used by bootcamp can only see 4 partitions so the recovery partition created by OSx needs deleted, but also doing any changes to partitions then throws the Mac partition table and the windows partition table out of whack, and you loose the ability to boot into windows. 

Trying to work out ways around it just now lol. 

k

Windows 10 supports GPT-based disks via EFI, so ignore Bootcamp, apart from to destroy your current Windows partition and merge it back into one, split the disk using Disk Utility from the OS X recovery interface to whatever you want, and install away.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2015 at 6:46pm
Running W10 on my HP ProBook 450

Installed it onto a new Samsung 250 EVO SSD and it's running really fast, boots very quickly! (though that's in part the SSD to be fair)

Really didn't get on with metro in 8.0 / 8.1, so was holding out till this and I'm glad I did

Haven't ran into any compatability issues yet, but I don't really have that much installed, so time will tell
matt mcginn hi fi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt mcginn hi fi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2015 at 10:23pm
whats with all the chat about it being intrusive?
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 5:06pm
got my FREE upgrade last night and took about an hour to install.everything working perfectly so far.. any problems i'll report here..
Just because you got more boxes that don't make you a man....
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 10:32pm
Done several upgrades, also repaired several botched.
Take your anti virus off first! All thebotched ones have been Norton/McAfee machines.
If Office messes up run SFC/SCANNOW from cmd (been doing this anyhow and 50% have repaired stuff)!
If you want to re-install in the future make a USB with the media creation tool on MS site.
Re-installation will not require a serial as MS has stored a hash of your system (no motherboard changes then).
If you are doing a few, create the instalation media as above then run setup from WITHIN current O/S, save waiting for the download on each machine..
 It's a massive improvment over 8/8.1, too app focused of course but hey, thanks Apple and Android ..
 If your on 7 and happy, stay there, updates will be until 2020 and your PC will be finished by then anyhow.
It's everything, not everythink!
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 11:05pm
I've been using it a while, seems much better than i thought it would be. Much faster and easier to navigate.

Having only one problem with my iLok key for Protools. Keeps saying no device recognized. Didn't even run in compatibility mode.
Uninstalled ilok and manager software, then reinstalled and it all worked again for a day. Now back to the same thing lol.
I'm sure it's an easy fix though just need to spend some time on it.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2015 at 8:12am
Very happy with W10 after the dreadful w8.1 that was on my new laptop.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12