Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V sub, on a boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by smallfishbigpond smallfishbigpond wrote:

So my goal of going just a little bit lower, would be 35-40HZ, witch im lacking the most with current setup. 

Common mistake. See my post above. You do not need to go lower... you need to go fatter. Make the Q higher not the Fs lower.
smallfishbigpond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallfishbigpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 5:45pm
Sorry for my noobishness, but what sorcery exactly is this elusive "Q" ?

and i do need to go lower, as the overall responce im getting from the Z2300 SUB is sufficient for me, only thing lacking is the stuff thats going on under 50HZ :)
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 5:56pm
Trust me. You don't need to go lower :D

Jungle and drum'n'bass is the only electronic music genres I can stand listening to and I make damn sure my designs are specifically designed to also be suited for those genres.

The Q isn't some magical number or sorcery. It's just the Qbox tuning used in any respectable speaker design software. Nothing special about it other than many people have no idea what it does and just leave it at the default 0.707 Butterworth tuning which is in most cases wrong for their use (unless your use is in a 3x5x8m living room). The larger the room the higher the Qbox you need in order to make the bass sound fuller or fatter, and the opposite as well, in a small room and with speakers close to the back wall you probably should use a Qbox of 0.5 or lower. Outdoors you generally need Qbox higher than 1.0, and in basically open field like a boat I prefer Qbox at around 1.207.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallfishbigpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 6:04pm
Saturnus im not sure if i agree with you there.. First of all - not mutch DnB or Jungle played there, only the occasional dub/dubstep, mostly its house...

and im just talking of my own ear experience, it sounds in my house just the same way it sounds on the saunaboat aswell, and its just lacking a bit of lower notes

and i would not consider the boat to be an open area, as we have  ( on the first deck ) around 12m2 of floor area, one wall of about 8m2 and also 8m2 of roof, all made of hard plywood. the sub is going to be right next to the wall, between the roof and floor.

ill try to give you a picture so you can get a better idea:

http://static2.nagi.ee/i/p/480/60/12015121392542_m.jpg/1

Edited by smallfishbigpond - 10 August 2015 at 6:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallfishbigpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 6:16pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7zsp0ogIE

on this song for example cannot really listen to the bass roll
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 6:44pm
I just realize that the title of this thread is wrong. You want to install a system in a boat, as inside the cabin, and not on a boat, as in on the deck to be played to other people.

I have no interest helping with that then. Good luck though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallfishbigpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2015 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

I You want to install a system in a boat, as inside the cabin, 

no, it will be outside still tho...
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 2:40pm

I just realize that the title of this thread is wrong. You want to install a system in a boat, as inside the cabin, and not on a boat, as in on the deck to be played to other people.

LOL
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

LOL

+1 on the smiley
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallfishbigpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2015 at 2:38pm
Still no help with viable enclosures + loudspeaker combos?

just for clarity, the speaker isto be mounted on the first deck, under the captains seat. going to have to go low (35-38hz), and not too big of an enclosure, want at least 115db out of it. 

im thinking:

Edited by smallfishbigpond - 13 August 2015 at 2:43pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2015 at 2:56pm
What do you mean no help?
Weve pointed you towards t-line boxes and tapped horns... you have to put in a little effort yourself!

Aim for something like a 8" t-line box. Bit of basic maths and you should be able to fold it to to the size you want give or take and use a driver with a 50ish hz fs. The boxes f3 you can aim for 40 ad it will roll of fairly nicely into your 35 region.

Look up street bassers and how they do it.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2015 at 4:12pm
If you are looking for consensus on the right bin, you will be waiting a while. Pick one and go with it. You may have second thoughts and wish you made something else later. Thats speaker building.

FWIW i still say band pass sub.

Edited by b grade - 13 August 2015 at 6:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12