Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover Guru's I Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only126db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover Guru's I Need Help
    Posted: 30 August 2015 at 3:04am
I picked up a pair or Mirage OM-9's for one heck of a deal but one of the High frequency channels does not work.

I pulled and metered the drivers and they checked out, and the Wire to the crossovers checked out.

I believe I narrowed it down to this component which I believe is a Metallized Polyester Film Capacitor rated at 1uF/5%/100V.

Problem is I cannot find a replacement that doesnt have some other letters like CBB, CBB2 or is not the same size.

I was told I could replace it with a regular Metallized Polypropylene Cap (Parts Express said so) like the Solen or Dayton Caps.

I am confused though because on the crossovers there are other 'normal' caps too and they did this for a reason and I am afraid the change may negatively alter the sound characteristics.

So my questions are....

#1 is this a Metallized Polyester Film Capacitor
#2 is it rated at 1uF/5%/100V
#3 can I replace it with a Metalized Polypropylene Foil Crossover Capacitor (will replace other one in other crossover too)
#4 what do you think will happen with sound

Also here are pics of said component and crossover

all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 4:22am
If you change it to an appropriate cap with the same values then the sound won't change at all.

Except when you are an audiophyle, then you will hear a difference if the cap hasn't been made from snail bones and the powercord is not made of braided angel pubes...
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
only126db View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only126db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 4:32am
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

If you change it to an appropriate cap with the same values then the sound won't change at all.

Except when you are an audiophyle, then you will hear a difference if the cap hasn't been made from snail bones and the powercord is not made of braided angel pubes...

I just ordered two new caps...

Just bought some Bennics, had good luck with them before.

THX
only126db View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only126db Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2015 at 11:49pm
Was Craigslisting, saw some tower speakers for $30, emailed to inquire the brand even though by the shape I had a good idea what brand they were.

The seller replied with something close to the brand name with an appropriate model number (figured they couldnt read the brand name in script on grill).

Went and checked them out the next day and it seems a relative who used to live there took off across the country and left a bunch of stuff so they were either going to sell them or trash them.

One speaker had an issue so I offered them $10 and they agreed.

I traced the issue to a bad capacitor on the crossover, replaced it, painted them and......

For a total of around $30 here is what I got.

Specifications:

Drivers: Two 1" Titanium Dome Tweeters, Two 6 1/2" Polypropylene Woofers; Ported

MFR: 38 Hz - 20 kHz ± 3 dB

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Crossover Frequency: 1.9 kHz

Efficiency: 90 dB

Power Handling: 150 Watts

Size: 43 3/4" H x 11 9/16" W x 12 3/4" D

Weight: 45 Pounds Each

Finish: Cherry Wood or High Gloss Black

MSRP: $1,400/Pair for Gloss Black

Post Reply Post Reply