Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VZ5000 problem 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 12:16am
Well, if i cant find a problem with the transistors i will put it back together and see if there is a way to get it back to the UK for repair.
I can probably find someone returning from the Freekuency Festival in april who can take it for me.
It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!
nev23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nev23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 12:43pm
I repaired two of these amps recently.
You could post the module to me and I will give you an estimate. I can then repair it if you wish.
I have the diagrams and I am familiar with the grounded bridge topology.
The matched transistors can get expensive but I have some original spares. If they are the wrong grade, the modern equivalents are about £25 for a set. Two sets may be needed, but that is less likely.

https://www.facebook.com/zenworksengineer
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by nev23 nev23 wrote:

I repaired two of these amps recently.
You could post the module to me and I will give you an estimate. I can then repair it if you wish.
I have the diagrams and I am familiar with the grounded bridge topology.
The matched transistors can get expensive but I have some original spares. If they are the wrong grade, the modern equivalents are about £25 for a set. Two sets may be needed, but that is less likely.

https://www.facebook.com/zenworksengineer

Nev, is that you?? from Brighton, worked in 'ahem' diy radio? if so you built me a 400watt amp in a plastic tub!

Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
nev23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nev23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 5:50pm
That's me!
I don't remember the plastic tub, though. I did build or rebuild some odd things a long time ago.
I would love to see a picture, as I have very few mementoes from those days.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 1:16pm
nice to have your expertise on here Nev..... you built the tub amp in the basemant of Trafalger Street!
sorry no pics tho- it got rebuilt into a rack mount in the end, and as far as i know is still running.

Shame your not so close, have a lovely 600w valve beast running part of my bass section which i'd trust in your hands.

hopr ya all good.....

Ben
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:59pm
Well i tested the transistors following instructions on line and although they are not all exactly the same specs, they seem to be all working correctly.
I guess they won't be all exactly the same but have a tolerance they should be within.
I'm running out of time now so i will probably just put it back together and decide what to do with it after the Freekuency Fest.
Unhappy
It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123