Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini DSP Really Quiet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini DSP Really Quiet
    Posted: 11 November 2015 at 5:23pm
I have a Mini DSP, its the 2x4 balanced.

A while back it started going really quiet when I first turned it on then after a while going back to normal volume.

Does this sound like it could be fixed easily?

I emailed MiniDsp and they said they could review it and see if its under warrenty / whether they can fix it however I would need to ship it to them in Hong Kong.

I bought it off ebay and do not know whether they were an authorized dealer or not. It was sat in a cupboard for a while before I started using it and didn't last very long before breaking.

Thanks, Liam
Cemetery Sounds
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2015 at 8:13pm
have a look in the settings, maybe some weird processing applied? volume setting set to the max?
theres also an option of external potentiometer control, have a look  in the settings if is not set into reading it.
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 9:30am
I will have a look. Last time I checked there wasn't anything like that. The settings are pretty minimal.

Thanks
Cemetery Sounds
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2015 at 10:18am
Make sure you have master volume control *disabled* in the software settings tab if you are not using an external potentiometer to control it.

Apart from that it might be worth checking an AC coupling caps on the hardware side, about the only thing I can think of. It does sound like a cap charging slowly upon turn on. There will be some of those on the ADC side of the processor at a minimum. Probably worth sending it for repair if it is not the external master volume causing issues.
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2015 at 4:48pm
I have just managed to have a look and the external volume control is disabled.

It is completely silent for about 10 mins then suddenly switches to full volume.
Cemetery Sounds
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 11:04am
I have got this fixed.

It was because I had shorted the outputs by connecting the negative to the earth. I thought you had to do this for unbalanced. It was a mistake on my part, and a very expensive one :S
Cemetery Sounds
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 11:25am
Haha, whoops.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by immortal immortal wrote:

I have got this fixed.

It was because I had shorted the outputs by connecting the negative to the earth. I thought you had to do this for unbalanced. It was a mistake on my part, and a very expensive one :S

:-) ... but how does this explain the 10 mins and then suddenly waking up business ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by immortal immortal wrote:

I have got this fixed.

:-) ... but how does this explain the 10 mins and then suddenly waking up business ?

I don't really know. They have done a lot of testing though and have said it is fully working. I am going to test it tonight and see if its working properly.

It has a 30 day warranty on it and they have made me some nice cables for it with phono and xlr input, and xlr out.
Cemetery Sounds
 Post Reply Post Reply