Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PC
    Posted: 14 January 2016 at 1:32am
In the past I have always built my PCs..

But I bought a HP Z620 for a client, I was so impressed I got one for me.....

Nothing to stupid Dual 8-core Xeons, Fire Pro w8000, 48GB ram, 1TB SSD and 2x 3TB SAS as a scratch drive, also dropped a 10Gb Fibre off my core switch...

The PC is whisper quiet, noticeabely quicker than the 9590 Piledriver it replaced (32 threads vs 8, it should be..)

But as a geek out, moving ISO files to a Hyper-V host, spindle drive to spindle drive(s)

That is mental speed, I barely get that on SSD raid....

I don't know what HP are doing, but they are doing it well.....

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 2:58am
i think i just got a semi..... have you doctored that jpeg or is that a true trasfer rate??
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 3:18am
No..

My server has a dual attach 8GBs fibre channel array, the Z620s came with SAS drives, which ripped out for the client and replaced with ssd, so i though WTF, I put 2 drive in Raid 0 as scratch drive on my z620 (just for Cubase and Premiere, they aren't staying, they triple the SPL) but i was stunned as teh throughtput and speed, note that is 18% into a 17GB transfer I only have 1GB Cache on my FC filer so I am now seeing the 10GB link as a bottle neck (I am guessing the 1.09 GB/s is a Ethernet ceiling) I have to say I am very close to binning W10 for W7 x64, I have 2x E5-2670 CPUs and the machines I have sold on W7 seem much quicker than mine (render rate is the same, but just normal click response is better in W7) and as my first outing into W10 as my home PC (I use it a lot for wark as I can hit Hyper-V machines with it, and IMHO it is 40x win 8,1) the VPN open system is near reason enough for me to dump it, I may have 9-15 vpns open at once and now every one is like 6 times more clicks...

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 3:46am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

No..
(I am guessing the 1.09 GB/s is a Ethernet ceiling) 

Whats your switch? Any chance of teaming your ports? Port Channel

Nice kit dude
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 10:59pm
Switch only has 2 10GBe Ports, am i am not feeling Teaming 10GBs ports with 1GB ones will work that well, also the spindles drives have now been removed from my Z620 as they made it a lot noisier, in real terms if I can cache onto the Fibre array at that speed I am not think I need a scratch drive in teh workstation...

Edited by shagnasty - 17 January 2016 at 11:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply