Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

equipment building

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: equipment building
    Posted: 14 January 2016 at 5:33pm
Here it comes again

I want to learn how to build my own music equipment like amplifiers, pre amps, equalisers etc...

I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere or someone that's willing to take an apprentice and teach them the ins and out or know somewhere where they can learn and practice

I've search put the Internet looked at courses like electronics and it seems that this part of electronics has been cut and can't learn about it anymore these days.

Or to even offer advice on where to look and go or any books etc.

I'm Based in South East London

Would mean the world if someone came up with a solution... from young I've been into sound systems and stuff always wanted to build my own equipment but don't have the know how's or how to go about it.

I know there's lots of builders on this so please reply if you can help
respect
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 6:19pm
Hi, I would be happy to help give some pointers get you started on the path.. I'm in southampton tho so you would have to be prepared to travel..
Reverence Sound system

championdrei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 6:25pm
Hi, thabka for giving me the time of day
I wouldn't mind travelling just need to find the time and when you have time on your hands also.
Furthermore, when you say pointers what type?
respect
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 6:50pm
OK  I'm completely self taught.. had nobody to show me the ropes..Cry had to keep reading and learning and trying and getting it wrong before I got anywhere. Now I'm at the stage I built my pre etc and run my sound with it. I can help you by explaining and showing you the basics, I can also show you which books to buy. 

Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 6:53pm
Nobody is gonna be able to teach you everything and give it to you on a plate.. you are gonna have to spend many many hours reading and researching.. but with some guidanance you will avoid a lot of mistakes and learning curve..
Reverence Sound system

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:00pm
Pre amp looks very nice how long did it take you to build?

And you're good if you taught yourself well done

I know it can be a brain muffler at times but that's what trial and improvement is for

respect

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:03pm
Any help is appreciated it's better than nothing

Preamp looks like it would give jah tubby a run for his money looks very unique and different
respect
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:12pm
Cheers the preamp is unique.. took me about a year to work out all the parts and put it together, a few bits took more than one attempt (the mic pre took 3 complete redesigns before i was happy). The good thing is you can take a pre and break it down into basic blocks, mic pre, phono pre, line input, mixers, eq's etc etc its probably best to first begin to understand the basic building blocks
Reverence Sound system

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:24pm
Do you have a clip of it in session?
And at least it's running nicely now you must be happy with it

Thanks for the info when you have free time let me know don't want to invade on you.
respect
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:50pm
Hi, i would like to recomend craig Andrews books especially electronic projects for musicians.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote championdrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:59pm
Thanks valve head I'll take a look
respect
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2016 at 8:47am
Also Horowitz and Hill - Art of electronics. It's written in a way that avoids heavy maths for the most part and it tries to be practical.

Apart from that you are going to want a dual DC variable power supply, a multimeter, a prototyping breadboard, wires and wire strippers, plus components themselves. A decent second hand oscilloscope is quite cheap on ebay these days and also strongly recommended so you can really see what your kit is doing.

To get full results out of designing and building there is no escaping that you will need some maths. But you can skip a lot of that to get started and just start making bits. Start by building some op amp buffers and filters which are among the simplest of op-amp circuits and then you can move onto more complicated circuits. As was said you can connect op amp circuits together in functional blocks. There are some pitfalls to watch out for but in general it will just work. I would recommend starting with FET input op amps such as the TL072 to get started with because they are often a lot more forgiving in terms if biasing than the classic bipolar input 5532 which draw higher currents and can lead to annoying DC offsets when chaining some circuits together.

I can't offer much in the way of practical help but feel free to PM or email me and ask questions.

You may also want to have a look and see if you have a local hackerspace/makerspace near you. There will be people there who can offer advice from everything to making your circuits to getting them onto proper boards and then mounting them in an enclosure safely and without noise. (I still think this last part is actually the hardest part of building a good custom pre-amp).
 Post Reply Post Reply