Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similar xTro project but completaly different!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar xTro project but completaly different!
    Posted: 02 February 2016 at 3:43am
Hi, i am now discovering a new kinda xtro i found here in the forum. It have almost the same shape, so MHF comes from an 8 inches speaker front horn and below there is the CD 1" + HORN. That's ok..
But differences now comes, cause below i really could see a 15" BPH, short horn, so something like HD15 ar better another Turbosound plan, almost the same story as stipe ES18. Now, i was suggested to build them but many questions came..

Considering that in this plans i have no advices in cuts to have, im going to base my job probably on misurations, but for a first idea i assumed the 8" and 1" driver combination from xTro around 2500 Hz.
Hope i will not have problem with 8 inches upon 1 kHz, and i think i wont (i could even lower the cut and use a stronger driver till 1200 but i will see on misurations).
I will for sure focus my attentions on the low cut, because i have no doubt that horn could play well 350 400 Hz, but not the same for the 15" bph. It should be suggested to go upon 200? For sure i will see and measure every step in the building, but im quite worried about that 15 to play that high, and not sure to lower the cut below 250 for the 8 inches horn.. Moreover, in this design there is a simple mistake that do not let me trust in every other measure written, despite every other look correct: the 200 mm in the lower part of the baffled wood, it is impossible that in that image coyld be 200, and with 200 it does not seems possible to cut a 15" hole on that wood.
So i really need several advice about this project, heeeelp me!!!

Edited by LeruSound - 02 February 2016 at 3:46am
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 10:04am
You're right, 15" can't play that high. And there's another problem with this cab -- very bad design. 60-80l of useless volume in 8" rear chamber, useless ply and useless weight. I can't see any sensible reason to make this cab as whole unit.
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 1:21pm
Do not consider that rear sealed chamber,i will copy and paste from xtro..
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 7:31pm
Sorry for my odd english. I've tryed to tell you that 8" speaker doesn't need 70l. 1l is enough. So you'll have alot of useless volume there in this cab and a very heavy cab when you can have two separate lightish cabs and 8" cab could be minimum twice smaller. Nevertheless it's very hard to make good sounding pair of 15" bph and 8" fh. Try 15+10 or 12+8.

Edited by PavelP - 02 February 2016 at 7:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply