Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TK2050 + MiniDSP system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TK2050 + MiniDSP system
    Posted: 04 February 2016 at 11:43am
It's been a while since I've posted on here, and I've just about forgotten everything learnt a few years ago Embarrassed

I'm hoping to put together something a bit more permanent than previous projects, and would like a bit of advice/feedback

On hand I have:
Sure TK2050 4ch amp
MiniDSP and power isolator
Many SLA batteries, probably use a pair of 12v 12ah
24v power supply for mains use

I plan on adding a preamp with basic VU meter, so it can be run off a variety of sources whilst keeping input level in check
Also a new addition will be a fuse/circuit breaker, something I've skipped over previously!

Is there a specific way to have the amp switched on/off?
ie, mute first then power off, or is this redundant?
Speaker thump isn't a huge concern, but I want to make sure I won't kill the amp 

Also, any recommendations for minor details to keep in mind? I'm wanting to build an "idiot proof" box I can lend out to friends if necessary, and hope to get a whole weekend's run time from the battery

Pics to come, once I dig out all this stuff from storage...
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 10:39pm
No 1 thing get a circuit breaker, even if your mates toast the speakers at least there wont be any nasty accidents. Have a look at bimble solar, they are seriously cheap for mcbs.

As far as proection for the audio goes, how much do you trust your mates?
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 10:41pm
Turns out my 2 SLA batteries had expanded and casing cracked, they were unused but sat around for 18 months. In the bin (battery recycling) for them.
Thankfully I was given another two batteries - good to have a friend that uses them at work

This project has been put on hold though, as I had to rush together a 12v system for use this weekend
Why 12v? I'm also using a bunch of lighting which runs on 12v, so wanted to keep things simple and use just the one battery
Here's an attempt at keeping the wiring under control:
battery > breaker > distributed accross terminal strips > minidsp isolator
maxxbass > minidsp > amp > 2x 8" speakers

The MaxxBass is fantastic! only tested it for a few minutes inside, but makes a huge difference on small speakers. Definitely getting used permanently, and will try and find another one or two second hand

Unfortunately the MiniDSP can't be seen by my computer, a problem with usb, so I'll have to leave it out for now

When I return to the 24v project I'll test it more, for now this is a small diversion
< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 7:53am
Have you tried another cable between the DSP and PC?
I had the same problem, and found out that some USB-B cables are only for power and have no data connection.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 11:48am
Tried multiple cables, even borrowed my friend's minidsp to see if it was a driver issue (new install of Win10)
His 2x4 worked but mine still couldn't connect. Desperate last option was to solder directly to the board headers... still can't connect. Must be cooked.
Will email minidsp and see if they can advise anything - a replacement would be great! Otherwise will have to stall this project while I save for another board
 Post Reply Post Reply