Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive high pass filter for tweeters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

You still have to calculate the xover rather than connecting random components!Dead

You're right, sensivity has to match +impedance has to match the xover, also a hard part is to get a smooth transition, drivers might couple /decouple at xover as phase also gets twisted.

I really don't know too much about this, but I saw a couple of interesting posts about this.

Not really, calculations are almost always way off to the real world. Tweeters are a bit easier but CD's usually have a rising response in the 2-4K range that need to be tamed, simple crossover at like 1.2KHz will leave that lump untamed and it will sound horrible. So then you use higher electrical crossover point to achieve lower acoustical crossover point.

Calculators are calculating the electrical crossover point. It has nothing to do with the acoustical one that you actually need.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 12:06pm
LOL - I consciously avoid that kind of CD's and put my xover above 4 khz.
You can't really blame the crossover for the CD's not playing flat.

One driver from 1-20k just never sounds good to me except if it is bms 4590 or the like.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 2:12pm
No such thing as THOSE cd's. They are all like that in a CD horn. It is a function of the horn, not the driver it self.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 4:49pm
I see, but the usual eardamaging 4 khz distorion is the driver :-(
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Crossovers are not made with calculators but with measurements. 
Calculators assume a flat line response which never is.
What is below the tweeter? Is sensitivity matched to the rest of the components?

Calculators are a good place to start... especially for someone who doesnt know what they are doing - it will get them close to what they want.

It's all well and good stating that designing a crossover around measurements is better, but most people do not have the correct tools, or the ability to do this.

This is why there are so many calculators which just assume 8 ohm impedance and do the standard maths around this - it will get you close enough in most cases.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:00am
If people don't have the correct tools, they shouldn't be encouraged to do what can't be done without the correct tools. My main objection to crossover calculators is that they give people a false sense of security because they suggest that there's nothing more to it than entering a few values on a website.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

No such thing as THOSE cd's. They are all like that in a CD horn. It is a function of the horn, not the driver it self.

some drivers are designed for use on exponential horns, some for use on conical horns. you only get a problem if you choose the wrong driver for your horn. or if the driver is just bad and can't play flat on any horn.

Edited by snowflake - 11 February 2016 at 11:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12