Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suitable driver for reflex box?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suitable driver for reflex box?
    Posted: 10 February 2016 at 8:48am
Hi All, can anyone recommend a decent budget (ish) driver for a reflex box, dimensions are 576mm wide by 576mm high and 746mm deep.  I think that makes it about 200 Litres minus the ports and bracing?

I've been looking at the P.Audio E-18ELF which should give you a rough idea of budget but can stretch to something like the BMS 18SV430v2 

However I'm concerned that both those drivers maybe designed for cabs of smaller volume?

I don't have or know how to use any sim software so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:48am
I think i know which box you are referring to :) I think Faital 18HP1010 could be an option for you. Andy from Blue Aran can probably help you to obtain the required quantity.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:54am
E18ELF needs a ~300 litres cab to get the best of it, if sub low is what you want/need.
18SV430v2 can do with some less, like ~240 litres to have a somewhat flat respons and go nice down low.
In a smaller cab (~180 litres net volume) they can made to work good, but emphasis rather on loud in bass (50-60 Hz) than real low (35-45 Hz).
Suitable or not depends on what you're after really.
If allround bass with solid SPL is what you want, both speakers are a good choice.
If true sub performance is what you want, they are not ideal (in the given cab dimensions).

dymondaudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

E18ELF needs a ~300 litres cab to get the best of it, if sub low is what you want/need.
18SV430v2 can do with some less, like ~240 litres to have a somewhat flat respons and go nice down low.
In a smaller cab (~180 litres net volume) they can made to work good, but emphasis rather on loud in bass (50-60 Hz) than real low (35-45 Hz).
Suitable or not depends on what you're after really.
If allround bass with solid SPL is what you want, both speakers are a good choice.
If true sub performance is what you want, they are not ideal (in the given cab dimensions).

Definitely all-round bass/solid spl is what I'm after for these cabs.

So looks like the 18ELF could be good, particularly as the pricing I can get on these is very good!
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

I think i know which box you are referring to :) I think Faital 18HP1010 could be an option for you. Andy from Blue Aran can probably help you to obtain the required quantity.

Thanks Pasi, you guessed correct! ;)

Will check out the Faital, price is pretty good on those (trade) although stock could be an issue as I'm looking to get these pretty quick.

I'm guessing you'd rate the Faital over the BMS or P-Audio for this application?
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 6:22pm
From the drivers mentioned here, Faital is definitely the best option.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 7:35pm
Fane Prime 18XS or Beyma 18P1000Fe look pretty good for slightly more expensive drivers.

P-Audio E18-600S is a budget option.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dymondaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the advice guys, out of interest would the Faital 18HP1040 be a suitable driver? 
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 4:27am
That would work too on this box, although not as well as the 1010. However, difference is pretty small.
 Post Reply Post Reply