Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

passive crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 8:39pm
the components the OP is using are high quality and he is not having to put the crossover point where the woofer is rolling off or the tweeter is near resonance.

IMO trying to correct eq with passive components is very difficult. notch filter frequency will move when the voice coil impedance changes at high power, and high q filters have terrible transient response. rather than spend money and time on extra crossover components I would buy some better drivers and fix any remaining problems with an eq unit.

ruler-flat frequency response is very over-rated and it is surprising how bad the response of most commercial products looks when plotted on a graph. I'm not convinced that non-standard crossovers which get flat eq can necessarily preserve transient response. however, this isn't as audible as poor frequency response and eq units will also muck up transient response anyway.

buy good drivers and use them well within their capabilities. first, second and third order filters all have advantages and disadvantages. trying to use fourth order or higher is incredibly difficult because component tolerances make it hard to manufacture anything near what you have designed.

I think the articles at ESP are pretty accessible but also go into a lot of depth:

sheep_production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheep_production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2016 at 11:06am
i think the solution for active crossover is the most flexible and easy way to go but a passive crossover with nice components sound the best
spttrial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spttrial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 4:41pm
Take a look at the Beyma crossovers, There will be something in there that's Safe for your ribbon, and at the very least get you up and going,  On another hand you mentioned 45Hz tuning on that little 6"  please have some sympathy for that poor little thing rattling around, and tune it higher. 
30 years in the business
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123