Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rig Vans!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 4:41pm
Quote Haven't seen too many weight measurement systems around here so might be worth the risk.

Until you have an accident, they discover you're overweight and the insurance company decides they don't want to be involved in any claim against you....
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by brokenjoe brokenjoe wrote:

Originally posted by m0gsi m0gsi wrote:

Just come back to this thread and wow thanks for the response! Seeing alot of love of transits which is good because they seem pretty cheap.

Payload wise, what do you think the aprox weight of 4 supers, 4 hd15s and 2 mt121s is? I know the weight of my amp rack. Are the quoted payload figures without/with driver?

Cheers

payload includes EVERYTHING that isn't the van.. INCLUDING FUEL, PASSENGERS 

E V E R Y T H I N G 

Not strictly true, GVW includes everything, Payload is the weight left of your GVW after the motor itself is removed.

Given no-one in their right mid would buy a 4.5Tonne plated Van, you have 3500Kg to play with on a normal UK licence, if the van weighs 2000KG you have 1500Kg for kit, crew, fuel.

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 6:06pm
Whilst VOSA mainly pic on class C and above, the Big Sprinters are easy pickings, "splitter bus" ones especially Mate was pull in Germany in a Tiger Tours splitter, him, the TM (so 7 empty seats) 2 boxes of merch, quarter tank of Derv  and a Keyboard rack put the motor 78KG over, they let him off, but it went out with 9 people, day sacks and a lot more kit....

Basically I would guess 75% of the ELWB Sprinters on the road are not legal at some point in the week...

Arran253 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arran253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 6:14pm
I'm also currently on the big van hunt!
The main things for me was reliability, but also wanting a van with a decent engine for towing. 

The thing that put me off the transits were the inherent diesel pump issues, my mechanic friend says he gets them in all the time and ive a few friends that've had them go. They just seem to go around 140k - Ford has it down as a 12 hour job to repair and even doing it yourself its best part of £500 for parts! Ouch

Mercedes have there own issues but main one that put me off was the injectors seem to be there downfall, which aint cheap from main dealer. 

Ended up going for Ivecos, the drivetrain can get a bit tired but parts to revamp it are cheap enough, rear drums can stick on if you park it up with the handbrake on for a while but there all little-ish things not stuff thatl put you out of a gig! 2.8TD perfect for towing, 
the events company i work with all summer has 3, 1 has done 340,000m only had to do the clutch master cylinder in the 3 years we've run in, same van returned 30mpg fully laden & towing a caravan up to Beatherder - was happily sat at 85 for some stretches too!
Safe to say by the start of the season we will be running 5 Iveco dailys & iveco 7.5 lorry too LOL
Asi es la vida
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 6:37pm
We always had good results with the Iveco Daily vans. Fast, reliable, built on a decent chassis and came fitted with 2 ashtrays. Smile
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234